Cushings Awareness Day 2007 passed!

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Senator Inhofe -Oklahoma is going to do the Resolution for us again this year=2008. I asked last year about having it being perpetual, I don't remember the reason but I don't think they can do it that way. If anyone has any more info about that, I would appreciate it. cheryl f

• Over 2000 Posts

Don't quote me on this, but thinking back to my Poli Sci days, I think it has to do with the fact that if it isn't a major resolution where the President has to get involved or something very technical that would effect laws etc, then it would have to be renewed because it was only approved by the committee that was in place at that certain time.

Cheryl--

It's great that you have Senator Inhofe -Oklahoma to do the resolution for us again. What does that mean exactly? Does he need co sponsors in the Senate? Do we need to have folks in the US House to help? The best people to tell us why it can't be perpetual are the people in the Senate office. Can you contact them soon?

Also, can you outline a little more about the process... what you did last time, what we need to do again this time, what votes Senator Inhofe needs for support? I am unclear about this whole process, and I have contacts in the US House of Reps that I know would help me. I need to know if we need to approach this matter in both the House and the Senate, and I want to know how to make this thing perpetual. I may just proceed with makinig my own calls.

I think Gumdrop is probably correct. I don't remember the reason that it isn't perpetual, but that's the way it is for now. Sen. Inhofe is going to do the Resolution for us irregardless if another Senator helps by co-signing, but if you want to contact your Senator that would be great.

When I tried to contact my Rep at the time, he wasn't interested in it, so I wasn't abale to get his help. He's not there any more...

The first year we had the Cushing Awareness, CUSH hosted a conference here in OKC and about 50 people were able to come. It started just as a "let's have a party" type thing and turned into us having a meeting where 4 physicians spoke and we had a seperate CUSH meeting the day before-where we had a memorial moment for Sue-who had just passed away a few weeks earlier. And I got to meet the infamous MaryO-and several others that I had gotten to know on this website.

Generally as Cathy said, we've had a CUSH conference in Oct-but because we had a meeting in April 06 we didn't have it in Oct, and then we didn't have one last year.

It would be great if we could all get together-but I don't know if that's going to happen. There is a meeting somewhere east in April-and that's part of the reason we don't have our yearly meeting in April. When the CUSH org was originally started, the meetings as I said were in Oct-we didn't at that time have a Cushings Awareness Day-which is April 8th.

So we could all do our part-let our TV stations know that we have the Cushings Awareness Day-I don't know, what does anyone want to do? Cheryl F

I wanted to share what Cheryl F sent me. I haven't been on the boards for a few days, so sorry I missed this.

Hi Melissa,

I just saw your message. Basically you need to contact your US Senator and ask him to co-sponsor a Cushings Awareness Day-and have him contact Senator Inhofe R-Ok about it.

I'll send Sen. Inhofe a message and ask him if he would co-sponsor it again-but you need to call your Senators in Washington about it-like tomorrow.

-Cheryl F

And Yea! At least we are going to have a Cushings Awareness Day April 8, 2008!

I'm just going to add my 2 cents worth of knowledge.

When I inquired about a National Day- initially I was told both the House and Senate need to pass a resolution and have it approved by the president.

Then I was told after further inquiry that Congress will only accept certain types of days (I guess because it is easier to do it every year-- where one Senator sends a missive. The other Senators have 48 hours to question or deny the resolution missive, then if not contested- it automatically passes). There may be too many groups trying to have National Days.

I did write the President. I talked with several people in the WH.

I received a reply letter from the Director of NIH, congratulating me for my efforts.

My Representative, JoAnne Davis, did address the House on My behalf in regards to Cushing's.

I believe that my letters and news paper articles are posted on the boards.

We will have to be thankful and grateful for the Resolution by Senator Inhofe.

Remind every one to send his office thank you's.

Knowing that we do have a NCAD in 2008, take it upon yourself to pass the word.

Write a letter to the editor of several papers and TV shows. Pay for an ad in a National paper or magazine.

Open up the phone book and mail a flier to everyone in the physicians section. Make your own exhibit, present it to people. Make and post a flyer at the hospitals. Make you own ways to raise money, bakesales, yard sales, special collection at church/school, from your doctors & nurses...

Jayne

Cushing's Awareness Advocate

It is easy for you to come up with ways to spread the word.

Archived