Cushings Awareness Day 2008

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Cushings Understanding Support and Help Org (CUSH) received word this morning from Senator Inhofe's office (OK) that the Resolution making April 8th National Cushing's Syndrome Awareness Day has passed. More information will be posted on the CUSH website (cush.org). A press release will be done as well from the Senators office.

This is the third year that Senator Inhofe's office has helped us with this-please send a thank you note to him if at all possible.

Cheryl Farrar

CUSH VP

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Ok, if the ghost post shows up please ignore it. I can't figure out what is happening to my replies. Sorry.

I just sent the email thank you. I would like everyone who has been involved in making this happen know that I appreciate your work. Thank You. Hopefully making more people aware will mean that more people get involeved in treatment, diagnosis and research. Good job.

Here is the link to Senator Inofe office.

http://inhofe.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?...act.ContactForm

• Chief Cushie

Congratulations, Cheryl, and thanks to you for your work on this, as well as Jayne, Sue, Amber, Melissa to those who have worked hard this year and in previous years.

Hopefully, some day, this issue will be a permant, national Awareness Day, not something that people have to do every year.

~~~~~~~~~

Trish - where have you tried to post that hasn't shown up? Do you get an error message or anything?

Cheryl,

All the info for a National Cushing's Syndrome Awareness Day, 2008 can be posted on this site as well.

There are so many wonderful and loving people on this site that will benefit from being able to access all the info, and a copy of the letter and of the resolution right here.

So many people can reply and send congratulations to all cushies all over the world. Even our angels in heaven can see it here! The pituitary and other cushing's groups can view every comment, too.

This is a great idea since the message boards are not up and running for your organization.

Jayne

Cushing's Awareness Advocate

INHOFE DESIGNATES ?NATIONAL CUSHING?S SYNDROME AWARENESS DAY?

April 3, 2008

WASHINGTON, D.C. ? U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today announced the designation of April 8, 2008 as ?National Cushing?s Syndrome Awareness Day.? Inhofe?s resolution (S. Res. 498) creating the designation passed the Senate last night by unanimous consent. Inhofe introduced this resolution to broaden public awareness and show his continued support for those suffering from this disease.

?Cushing?s syndrome often goes undiagnosed or misdiagnosed, many times leading to death, because the initial symptoms are shared with a number of milder illnesses,? Inhofe said. ?Since awareness is low, doctors do not always run the tests necessary for diagnosis, and patients do not know to ask for them. It is my hope that ?National Cushing?s Syndrome Awareness Day? will help Oklahomans and everyone suffering with this disease to receive the best possible health care.?

Cushing?s Syndrome is an endocrine or hormonal disorder. It is caused by over-exposure of the body?s tissue to high levels of the hormone cortisol. An estimated 10 to 15 people per million suffer from this debilitating disease. Common symptoms include abnormal weight gain, skin changes, fatigue, diabetes, high blood pressure, and depression.

Over-production of cortisol is commonly associated with the treatment of asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus. Additionally, delayed treatment of Cushing?s Syndrome significantly reduces treatment options, such as radiation therapy. Thus, it is imperative that both doctors and patients heighten their awareness of Cushing?s Syndrome.

Archived