Dr Ted Friedman will return for his Third Live Voice Interview, Sunday, February 13, 2011, 9PM eastern time

MaryO

• Chief Cushie

Thanks to Melissa and Robin, Dr Ted F. will return for his Third Live Voice Interview, Sunday, February 13, 2011, 9PM eastern time

Dr Ted F. will be our guest in the weekly Interview/Podcast series.

We will take written questions first. If there is time at the end, we will take callers. Please add your questions in response to this thread or PM/email them to MaryO.

Short Bio:

Theodore C. F., M.D., Ph.D. has opened a private practice, specializing in treating patients with adrenal, pituitary, thyroid and fatigue disorders. Dr. F. has privileges at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and Martin Luther King Medical Center. His practice includes detecting and treating hormone imbalances, including hormone replacement therapy. Dr. F. is also an expert in diagnosing and treating pituitary disorders, including Cushings disease and syndrome.

Dr. F.'s career reflects his ongoing quest to better understand and treat endocrine problems. With both medical and research doctoral degrees, he has conducted studies and cared for patients at some of the country's most prestigious institutions, including the University of Michigan, the National Institutes of Health, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, and UCLA's Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science.

He has a private practice in Los Angeles specializing in hard-to-diagnose and treat cases of adrenal, pituitary, and thyroid disorders. He is the father of three children. Dr. F. lives in California.

He's the "Dr House" of endocrinology. He loves complicated cases and is an outstanding diagnostician.

He also has a PhD in pharmacology.

Kate (Fairley) and Dr. Ted F. on National Geographic TV, September 2007

Read Dr. F.'s First Guest Chat, November 11, 2003.

Read Dr. F.'s Second Guest Chat, March 2, 2004.

Listen to Dr. F. First Live Voice Interview, January 29, 2009.

Listen to Dr. F. Second Live Voice Interview, March 13, 2009.

Dr Ted F. will return for his Third Live Voice Interview, February 13, 2011, 9PM eastern. Listen live at http://www.blogtalkr...om/CushingsHelp

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Over 2000 Posts

Yay! Thank you Dr. F!

What results were you seeing from the cortisol hair samples in comparison with diagnoses of patients? Do you think this test will be beneficial in the future?

For those Cushing's patients with chronic pain, and with proper legal and medical authorization, what is your opinion on marijuana use in the un-diagnosed or relapsing "Cushie?"

• Chief Cushie

How do I listen to this? Is there a phone number to call into?

During the interview, you can listen at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/CushingsHelp

You can also call into this number to ask questions but we are taking written questions first. You can also just listen through this number: 1 (646) 200-0162

After the interview, the archives will be available indefinitely at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/CushingsHelp and on iTunes at http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=350591438 If you search iTunes directly, you can find them under podcasts by searching for "Cushings". We're the only non-dog podcast that's featured on iTunes.

• Over 2000 Posts

This is great - thank you!!

What causes a person to have high levels of CBG?

If a patient has high CBG, does this change how you evaluate their labwork (UFCs, saliva tests, etc)?

Good one, I'd also like to add to that question, if your CBG is high, how does it affect treatment? If you have a BLA, will the hydro build up in your system the same way Total cortisol does causing "cushings symptoms"?

So glad Dr F will be back...Here's a couple of questions for him:

1. A lot of people on the boards find they have many symptoms of rheumatological diseases, along with very high labs such as sed rate, CRP and aldolase (muscle enzymes). After many, many lab tests, it seems all other diseases are ruled out. Does elevated cushings cause these symptoms, particularly muscle pain, to the point it would show up in blood work as elevated enzymes? In other words can elevated cortisol "eat away or waste away" your muscle tissues?

2. How come some patients can never get highs in different tests at the same time? I have had only high 17s, then 2 years later get only high midnight serums, with only one high saliva over 3 years. No doctor wants to rule out cushings, but no doctor wants to diagnose either. Any advice on getting to the bottom of this debate?

Thanks.

LisaMarie

Thanks to Melissa and Robin, Dr Ted F. will return for his Third Live Voice Interview, Sunday, February 13, 2011, 9PM eastern time

Dr Ted F. will return for his Third Live Voice Interview, February 14, 2011, time TBA. Listen live at http://www.blogtalkr...om/CushingsHelp

Sorry, confused here, which day IS IT? Is the 14th a "replay"?

• Chief Cushie

It's the 13th.

The archives can be replayed anytime you want.

YIPEE! Thanks, Dr. F for coming to be with us again.

Question:

There appears to be several folks who had BLAs and now testing for a recurrence. How common is this situation? How do you test post BLA? What are the possible causes for high cortisol post BLA?

• Chief Cushie

Questions that have been answered in the past by Dr. F as well as questions that will be asked at the next interview can be found here: http://www.cushie.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=945:questions-from-dr-ted-F.-interviews&catid=34:interview-archives&Itemid=70

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Thanks for everyone who made this possible! I'm so overwhelmed with excitement! Dr. F. gave me my life back and being here will help so many more. I'll definately tune in!

Question: Are there any experts in genetic testing for endocrine diseases? Some of us have so many family members that we are starting to worry about. If a marker was located and known to our docs, it seems that the fight for dx. wouldn't be so hard.

Do you, Dr. F., take patients for such testing?

Thanks again!

Love,

Kristin

Here's a multi-part question on the subject of multiple endocrine neoplasias that aren't either MEN I or II:let's say that someone had the misfortune of suffering from both Cushing's Disease and Adrenal Cushing's Syndrome and an IPSS test was administered-what would the numbers theoretically look like, and how often does this situation occur? What about another combination of the two involving ectopic ACTH-secreting tumors? What is the incidence of malignant thyroid cancers in people with both pituitary and adrenal forms of Cushing's?

Question on pituitary hyperplasia...We've talked before about what it is, and if I understand correctly it's the "funky" cells filtering throughout the gland. This gives the surgeon no "clear target" as I was once told. If a doctor is leaning toward pituitary hyperplasia during the workup, what is the preferred treatment? It doesn't seem to make sense to go to surgery if the entire gland is affected. Would removing the half the gland give you "less" cushings sympotms? Seems like that is risky, possibly making hormonal imbalances worse? Logically it seems medication or BLA makes more sense? Thoughts?

thanks.

LisaMarie

• Over 2000 Posts

Thank you ladies, congrats on all your continuing hard work.

I'd really like to know what A big ACTH response to CRH , but no cortisol increase is indicative of. & if theres any significance in the ACTH response doubling whilst on DDAVP .

Thanks, I know the good doctors time is precious, but its one I've never got an answer on, & think I'll be lifting the lid of my box , saying, hang on, before I go..any one know ??

Question on ACTH stim test...From what I understand, your cortisol should double from baseline. If one starts at 21 baseline, and then drops to 13 after the stim, can any conclusion be made about the function of the adrenals?

Thanks.

LisaMarie

Archived