Myth: "All Cushing's patients have the exact same symptoms...

MaryO

• Chief Cushie
Myth: "All Cushing's patients have the exact same symptoms and the level of illness is the same for everyone. If you do not have ALL of the classic symptoms of Cushing's, then you must NOT have Cushing's Syndrome/Disease!"

Fact: Everyone does NOT have the exact same symptoms. Not all Cushing's patients are exactly the same. This is one mistake that non experts tend to make in terms of categorizing patients by whether they meet the exact same classic symptoms or not. Experts have come to learn that each patient should be treated individually. Though there are symptoms that are more prominent in the Cushing's population, not every patient has to meet every single symptom in order to meet criteria for Cushing's.

For instance, not all Cushing's patients become overweight. Everyone does not gain the same amount of weight. There are various theories as to why. One issue is that different patients are diagnosed at different stages of the illness. We know that patients tend not to be diagnosed at the onset of the illness because of doctors' misconception that Cushing's patients must be extremely obese to have the disease. So, patients who have not gained as much weight may not be listened to until after the weight has gotten out of control. However, there ARE patients who are diagnosed early enough where there has not been a tremendous amount of weight gain.

I (Karen Thames), for one, started trying to get help after gaining my first 30 pounds because I KNEW that something was wrong with my body. Had I received an appropriate diagnosis, I probably would not have gained the 150 pounds I ended up gaining in 5 years. Regardless of the reason, it is a myth that all Cushing's patients gain the same amount of weight. The following are other additional reasons that an endocrinologist gave me for supposedly not meeting the criteria for Cushing's when I was misdiagnosed: "1. Your stretch marks are not purple enough", 2. "Your buffalo hump is not large enough", 3. "You are not THAT fat!", 4. "Cushing's patients do NOT have children", and 5. " your face does not look like a classic moon face". These are some of the reasons why, 2 years earlier, this same doctor dismissed apparently high cortisol levels, and didn't even tell me, leading to several more years of suffering!

So, not all Cushing's patients are obese, not all Cushing's patients gain the same weight at the same rate, not all Cushing's patients have the same size buffalo hump or the same round moon face. There are variations in these symptoms. IF you are experiencing extreme changes in your body regardless of diet and exercise and its not influenced by external factors, then it is time to speak up!

It is important to raise concern with your doctor if you do have ANY Cushing's symptoms. Please do not be inhibited if you do not show every single symptom! 

• 2 months later...