Welcome to the Cushing's Help Boards

Welcome to the Cushing's Help Boards. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Don't worry - this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Be a part of the Cushing's Help Boards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search for past information from more than 10,000 members
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Get a free blog and photo gallery
  • Customize your experience here
  • And much more...
Please join us!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need Your help

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 staticnrg

Robin

• Mega Poster!
  • 6,856 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Sci Fi, computers, people, kids, and life

• United States

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:03 AM

I contacted my senators via email and will call them tomorrow. Here is a page that has all the information one needs to contact his/her senator:

Contact Your Senator

#22 LisaMK

Member of the 1000 Post

• Member of the 1000 Post Club
  • 1,993 posts

• United States

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:21 AM

I emailed Barbara Boxer. A long email too! :D I hope someone responds.

#23 ADDflower

Runs with scissors.

• Over 2000 Posts
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:...it's more like things I like to do but can't seem to find the engery to do anymore...
    horses, miniatures (and mircominiatures), learning to knit, crochet, reading, learning to sew, machine embroidery, wishing I had the energy to make a mess making something.

• United States

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:35 AM

I sent e-mail to both my state senators (Boxer and Feinstein)... Here is a copy of what I wrote, I hope the content dosn't offend anyone.

Lovingly,
Ami

Dear Senator,

I am writing to you to bring to your attention that you should have received a "Dear Colleague" letter from Suzanne Meledeo of Senator Inhofe's office. Senator Inhofe has taken up the cause of having April 8th designated Cushing's Awareness Day.

I am a member of a non-profit organization called CUSH, which stands for Cushings Understanding Help and Support. The world of endocrinology is really just beginning to understand that severity of what has for years been considered a rare disease. Most people with Cushing's suffer declining health and irreversible damage for years while in the care of doctors not educated enough to diagnose the disease in its milder forms. You can find more information about us at http://www.cush.org.

Recently, however, our desire to have April 8th designated Cushing's Awareness Day has become a double cause. The woman who has spearheaded our campaign has had a severe decline in health due to a secondary cancer. We do not know how much loner Sue Koziol will be with us, as she is currently on hospice care. To see this resolution pass would mean so much not just to those that suffer from cushings disease, but also to our own Sue, who after winning her battle against cushings may soon loose her battle with cancer.

Thank you for your consideration, I will follow up with a phone call to your office tomorrow.

#24 no_1_momlandj

Chatty Cushie

• ChattyCushie
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, scrapbooking, camping and fishing.

• United States

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:58 AM

Ami,
I think that is a very powerful letter. It's very direct and to the point, but it conveys the emotion behind the cause. Good job!

#25 Doreen

Long-time Board Member

• ChattyCushie
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Aromatherapy,travel

• United States

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

I spoke with both my senators offices in washington just now.[ state of connecticut ]

Thanks for the phone #'s . That was a major help.
Doreen
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

#26 cheryl f

CUSH Vice President

• 1,575 posts
  • Interests:grandbabies, cake decorating, scrapbooking, healthy cooking (and unhealthy! haha), crafts, church activities

• United States

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:25 PM

Excellent! Thank you so much.... one thing I would encourage tho is for everyone to also call the US Senator's local office, and ask for the Senator's Washington office so that you can speak with his/her Assistant is deals with Health Issues. Let them both know that this "Dear Collegue" letter is coming, and that they need to contact Suzanne in Sen. Inhofe's office.

There was one sent in the fall, I think in Oct or Nov and only one Senator responded, that was another one from Oklahoma-Senator Coburn. We are asking the Senators to co-sponsor the Resolution to make April 8th, Cushing's Awareness Day. Then tell them you have sent the e-mail and ask for a call back to see if the Senator will help co-sponsor it.

I can't remember if I said all of that in the last nights post..I was half asleep when I found Suzanne's e-mail asking for the help.

When I first contacted my Senators office, I also sent a letter outlining what I had dealt with personally, and of situations with my friends who had dealt with it to some degree.

My understanding, if I was to call the Senator from another state, they don't really listen to you, so it has to be someone from that state calling their Senator. Which makes sense....so having friends/relatives calling will help tremendously!

So I've contacted Oklahoma, a friend is contacting Utah, what other states do we have??? Thanks! Cheryl f

#27 cheryl f

CUSH Vice President

• 1,575 posts
  • Interests:grandbabies, cake decorating, scrapbooking, healthy cooking (and unhealthy! haha), crafts, church activities

• United States

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:32 PM

I'm going to post more about the Senators/Cushing's awareness day under that section, but I wasn't sure anyone was going to read it and that's why I posted it here as well, as it's so dear to Sue's heart.

Please remember to call your Senator, you can call their local office, but ask to get the phone # for the Assistant who is over the Health issues in Washington, ask her to contact Suzanne, and ask that the Senator co-sponsor the Cushing's Awareness Day, and that the "Dear Collegue" letter will be there in a day or two.

The letter was sent in the fall, Oct or Nov, and only one Senator, another one from Oklahoma responded to co-sponsor. So please follow-up and ask that they call you back to see if he/she will help co-sponsor it.

I need to get to work, but if you have any questions, please PM me, or e-mail me and I'll get with you tonight...love, cheryl

Thank you all! It will happen...ask your family friends from other states to call their senators too...
I appreciate all those who have already e-mailed, called their Senators...this can happen, because of you! MAKE THAT CALL!!!

#28 cheryl f

CUSH Vice President

• 1,575 posts

• United States

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:46 PM

I want to thank everyone who has contacted their senators/congressmen. I feel that in the next two weeks that the Senate will officially give us the Cushing's Awareness Day, something that many have worked on for several years.
If it hadn't been for people like Jayne, who inspired us to work on it and for all that she did to get the ball rolling, I'm not sure that we would have gotten this far.
But it also took others contacting their senators & congressmen and for all of the help, no matter what you did to get us here, I want to thank you each and every one.
I want to also thank our senators and congressmen that have listened to us and have worked to make this possible as well. Thank you so much! Cheryl F

#29 no_1_momlandj

Chatty Cushie

• ChattyCushie
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, scrapbooking, camping and fishing.

• United States

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

It's official.

The resolution passed!! April 8th is National Cushing's Awareness Day!!

This is a great day!

#30 AutumnOMA

Chatty Cushie

• ChattyCushie
  • 501 posts

• United States

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

Time to call all the newspapers and media! Lets get the word to EVERYONE!

Yippie!

~Autumn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users