Cushings Awareness Day 2007

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

I contacted Senator Inhofe's (OK) office recently, and he is happy to reintroduce the Cushings Awareness Day Resolution for April 8, 2007.

Please contact your US Senator's office and ask them to support this Resolution. I'm not sure when Senator Inhofe will try and contact other senators but if you send a letter soon, and call your senator to let him know your letter is coming, and that Senator Inhofe is going to reintroduce the Resolution, it will truly help.

Last year the Resolution was introduced, but to my understanding, only one senator-another from Oklahoma was the only one to contact Senator Inhofe's (Okla) office to co-sponsor the Resolution.

If you send a letter requesting it, you might also request that a reply be sent back to you . Please try to send the letter in the next two weeks if possible.

Last year we had a small Conference in OKC celebrating the passing of the Resolution, and there is some information on that conference on the CUSH website (CUSH.org) , and I believe on this one as well. We won't be having a specific conference in OKC, but ask that you bring awareness in your own states, communities as you can. Last year a TV station in OKC aired a small segment about the conference & Cushings Awareness Day, as did one in Nebraska- with Autumn as the contact person.

As the OK CUSH rep as well, I might have something for those around the OK area, a small get together if anyone is interested...more like a dinner or luncheon so we can visit each other.

You can always contact me for more info if you'd like...together we can make a difference!

cheryl1957ann@sbcglobal.net

Thank you in advance, Cheryl Farrar- CUSH Vice President

• Over 2000 Posts

Cheryl,

Im glad you posted this info now.

My son and wife and granddaughter are moving from Austin to OKC (Quail Creek) very soon, and they want me to come visit about Feb or March. Cant wait to get back and visit OKC. It "could" be about that time or I could make arrangements for it to be around that time.

Only thing is, I also would like to represent Pennsylvania with this and maybe do something in the Pittsburgh area. Lots of time to figure it all out though.

Keep up the good work Cheryl.

Cheryl,

Thank you for the info...I will get on the Senators in NEBRASKA once again and hopefully get their support once again.

Is there a way to get this day permanently recognized? I don't know much about it....but I know that October is National B.C awareness...

How can we get the word out there and make a bigger, lasting differnce? Any brainstorming thoughts?

In the meantime...I will send out my lettes once again!

Thanks Cheryl!

All my best to everyone for a healthier 2007.

Muchas Smootches!

~A

P.S....

If there are any members in the OMAHA area that would like to get together around or ON April 8th, I would love to plan and put something together. I would love to see the arms of our internet community embrace a more personal gathering!

Let me know if anyone around here is interested!

Again...Muchas Smootches to all!

~Autumn

shishon99@yahoo.com

Autumn & Judy,

Thank you for the support of this awareness day effort! I know that you both have been invaluable in helping in many ways, including last year's awareness day.

I asked about a perpetual awareness day, and my understanding is that they don't do that anymore...not sure why, or what the difference is.....maybe someone else can figure that one out...maybe even ask their senator about that.

But we can do what we can, and right now this is what we can do.....if it helps just one person, it will be worth it....let's get the word out! 2007 - The Year of the Cure love, cheryl f

:):):) Yeah :):):)

I'm glad you started this for the new year. I was waiting for the holidays to settle down.

Of course, I'll be supporting the day and writing letters and emails and making phone calls.

I hope to find us a celebrity ribbon wearer.

Something else I am working on is national TV recognition with the major networks and National publications. You can email them as well on their "contact us" info. Contact the hosts of the show and the producers to mention April 8th and Cushing's Awareness.

I am going to find out information on getting money (grant) to publish magazine adds/articles for the April editions, if not this year then for next year. I know they are probably being printed, but I just thought of this idea. My local paper will run a small 2x3 ad for starting at $300. I want the whole page! I thought about having a yard sale to raise money to put in an ad, but doubt that I'd make enough. Oh Well!

Something else I thought about is getting a chain pharmacy to post cushings info for that week prior to the 8th. Medical school journal/papers can also be contacted. I know I must have emails over 100 doctors last year on the 7th (once I know that it had passed). I'll be setting up a booth at the women's Forum again this year. I hope to set up at some health expo's and at the local Hospital or at least make/pass out flyers.

I'll get started now.

Jayne :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some great ideas Jayne! I love your idea of the women's forum information...if i can remember that long, I might try to do one on a Saturday sometime...that's an excellent idea.

It just takes us working together to get the word out. e-mail me sometime if you get the chance, my e-mail add is: cheryl1957ann@sbcglobal.net love, cheryl f

BTW, I realize that April 8, 2007 is on Easter Sunday, but it doesn't mean that we can't have an awareness in our own communities, like the week before or the week after. Last year the Resolution got passed on the Tuesday before the April 8th-which was about 4 days before. So we'd have the Resolution and you could let your TV stations know when it's passed.

It'll be passed in behalf of the CUSH organization-for all of us. The more we get the word out-the better.

One thing I'd like to see is the diabetes organizations recognizing that Cushings can be the underlying reason that some people are experiencing more problems with diabetes. That's one thing that one of the speakers last year said. He'd like more people tested who have diabetes. Obviously not all people who have diabetes have Cushings, but even if 1-2 have it they could be helped.

There are so many things we can do. I'm so glad MaryO has her website so that people can get information they need. Also, the CUSH organization is trying to bring awareness-as with the Resolution being passed last year, and this year.

We can all make a difference. Love, Cheryl

• Chief Cushie

Jayne and I were just talking about doing something here in the metro DC area for the week (or so) after Cushing's Awareness Day. The week before is also Palm Sunday and that's also an incredibly busy time for me with my handbell ringing.

So...if anyone wants to come to the DC area to celebrate, let me know!

Anyone who is planning a Cushing's Awareness Day please post here or let me know so I can add it to the newsletter and the main site - and the calendar on here.

• Over 2000 Posts

Cheryl,

Maybe our little cushings art group can have a Cushings Awareness Poster contest?

I know how difficult all these "ideas" can be to come to fruition............so we shall see..........probably one of the last things that needs to be considered................just an idea for the future maybe.

xo Judy xo

• 1 month later...

I am sending out letters to my senators today--I hope it's not too late. If it is, they'll probably just think I'm a loon. :)

Thank you all for all of your work...it's so important.

Does anyone know if your sig still counts on the petition if you don't make a donation to ipetitions afterwards?

jules

I wondered the same thing! But then I went back and looked, and my signature was up there, so I'm sure it still counts. That would be pretty crappy if it didn't...

I received an e-mail from U S Senator Inhofe (Oklahoma) office yesterday. His assistant-Suzanne is working on the Resolution now. It would be a great time for each of you to contact your US Senator's office and ask to speak to the assistant who helps with health issues. Ask them to please enlist the support of your Senator for the Resolution making April 8th, 2007, National Cushings Syndrome Awareness Day. You might also send an e-mail to that person and ask thata they forward it to the Senator, ask for a phone call back from the assistant to let them know if they will contact Senator Ihofe's office to be a co-sponsor for the Resolution.....

In your own community-you can get together with others who have had Cushings/or have family members who have had it, you can contact your local tv station/newspaper....

In Oklahoma-I think I am going to get together (if anyone wants to) and just have lunch on April 14th (Saturday) just so we can be of support to one another.

Even after you have surgery, there are still health issues associated with having the Cushings-meds that you will take maybe forever-possibility of the tumor growing back, etc. It's good to have friends who understand-hope to see you in Oklahoma April 14th. (April 8th is Easter) Love, Cheryl f

• Over 2000 Posts

What about flooding Oprah.com with our need for awareness...I just sent an email with a link to this site...it is a disease that is up her ally, it is rare, a womens issue & we are called fat & crazy....

She would be perfect, it is a longshot but all it takes is the right person reading about what we have been through!

Lisa

P.S. I will see what I can do in NorCal...

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I also sent a letter to my state senator Elizabeth Dole and Richard Burr for the state of North Carolina.... Also... I don't know if it will help, but I emailed the Ladies at the View...Maybe we can get Rosie to wear a ribbon or at least recognize it? Somedays I just sit here and try to think of ways to get more people aware of the disease we suffer...

Every little helps.... :wub:

Britt~

I haven't heard anything from Sen. Inhofe's office yet, but they are so great there at helping us. Have your US Senators contact his office to help co-sign the Resolution...have them contact Suzanne in the Washington DC office.

• 2 weeks later...

Sen. Inhofe's office contacted me. They are officially working on the Resolution this week (that's the way it was done last year) and will let me know as soon as the Resolution is passed. So it should be passed I'm guessing early next week, late this week. I'll let you know when I hear anything! love, cheryl