• Chief Cushie

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/a.../jc.2008-0368v1

This version published online on April 15, 2008

Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, doi:10.1210/jc.2008-0368

Submitted on February 14, 2008

Accepted on April 4, 2008

Aerobic Capacity and Growth Hormone Deficiency after Traumatic Brain Injury

Kurt A. Mossberg*, Brent E. Masel, Charles R. Gilkison, and Randall J. Urban

Department of Physical Therapy, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX; Transitional Learning Center, Galveston, TX; Department of Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: kmossber@utmb.edu

Context: Growth hormone (GH) deficiency occurs in approximately 20% of all individuals who suffer from a moderate to severe traumatic brain injury.

Objective: This study determined whether GH deficiency secondary to traumatic brain injury had an effect on aerobic capacity.

Design: Subjects were screened for growth hormone deficiency by the glucagon stimulation test and performed a maximal treadmill exercise test.

Setting: Patients were studied in the post-acute recovery phase after traumatic brain injury. Participants: Thirty-five individuals were studied. Groups were formed as follows: normal GH axis ? greater than 8 ng/mL response (n=12), insufficient ? GH 3-8 ng/mL response (n=11), and deficient ? less than 3 ng/mL response (n=12). Intervention: None. Main Outcome Measure: Aerobic capacity was assessed by measuring expired gases during a graded treadmill exercise test. One-way and two-way analyses of variance (ANOVA) were carried out on all peak and submaximal cardiorespiratory variables, respectively. Appropriate post hoc comparisons followed as necessary.

Results: Significantly higher peak VO2 was found in traumatic brain injury subjects with GH normal versus GH insufficient and deficient (26.4 ? 6.9, 20.8 ? 4.6 and 19.7 ? 5.0; respectively (p<0.05)). Submaximal VO2 was significantly higher in the GH normal group. All other variables were statistically similar.

Conclusions: This study shows that individuals with traumatic brain injury with normal GH secretion have below normal aerobic capacity and those patients who have GH insufficiency/deficiency are further deconditioned. Studies of GH replacement in these subjects should be conducted to assess whether GH therapy can improve cardiorespiratory fitness and prevent secondary disability

Great article, Mary. It's so nice to have validation of something I already believed. My asthma, COPD, and sleep apnea didn't show up until AFTER I was in a car accident and all the hormonal symptoms 'just appeared'. I kind of figured there was a connection - this article goes into my file called: "See - told ya!"

• Over 2000 Posts

Mary, I'm so glad you posted this. I had a brain injury which caused my body to almost completely stop making growth hormone, and hitting my head made my Cushings symptoms go into high gear. I posted about my VO2 levels from my exercise test a few months ago, but no one was able to shed any light on it. Now I have some more because of you.

http://cushings.invisionzone.com/index.php...c=26974&hl=

Archived