SCENTED OILS TIED TO BREAST GROWTH IN YOUNG BOYS

Lavender and tea tree oils found in some shampoos, soaps and lotions can temporarily leave boys with enlarged breasts in rare cases,

apparently by disrupting their hormonal balance, a preliminary study suggests.

While advising parents to consider the possible risk, several hormone experts emphasized the problem appears to happen infrequently and clears up when the oils are no longer used. None of those interviewed called for a ban on sales. The study reported on the condition, gynecomastia, in three boys, ages 4, 7 and 10.

Hmmmm...if tree oils can do this---I hope they consider some of the other stuff they put in common products.

This story appeared in our newspaper, The Idaho Statesman, Thursday, February 1, 2007.

I heard this too. We have all granddaughters and I love giving them baths in the lavender scented baby bath but if it does this to boys, what is it doing to girls...and everybody else?

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

HI Shelley,

I can't find the article. It must not still be on the website. Did the article list the source of the information? I was interested in seeing who and what was the research being done on this.

Thanks for the information.

Dawn

• Over 2000 Posts

Hi Shelley,

Thats a new one on me.. Thanks for the info..There was a flap (pardon the pun ) here a while ago, as some poultry products contain/ are fed on estrogen as over here the breast portions are most popular, & considerred a healthy option..& the bra manufacturers studies were saying that modern women & young girls are much larger in the chest & they were trying to prove a link...

Jo.

Thanks for the link....I was trying to find the story on the Idaho Statesman site.

We use the johnson and johnson lavendar lotion, but I am not sure of the true lavendar oil in them.

But good to know if someone has a child that shows gynecomastia and usese these products that they have been linked to 3 other children with the same condition.

Hugs,

Dawn

Edit- I also found this link that dicusses a little more of the study. Very interesting topic Shelley!

http://www.terragon.com/gemjoy/Lavender%20Revolution.htm

This was on the local news today. I am really interested in this as I am sort of a lavender freak myself...it is so calming and I use the lavender shea butter and lavender bath salts when I am needing some calm. But I think if it's affecting boys, it must be affecting everyone!

Mertie- In the information I have found it is the Lavendar OIL and I believe it stated that a couple of patients were applying the PURE Lavendar oil directly to their skin.

This of course is a different concentrations found in say shea butter, lotions or other products that would be a diluted concentration.

The concept is that lavendar oil possesses estrogenic and antiandrogenic activities.

It also said that the reason it may have affected the young- Prepubertal children have low sex hormone concentrations, so relatively small amounts of hormone-mimicking compounds might upset their physiologic balance at that age, says Reiter.

Mertie - I think based on what I have read -there may be more information pending- I would feel safe using lavender scented products.....However, I would not use the pure lavendar oil directly on the skin.....

I don't feel there is enough information to stop using all lavender scented products ----For example- how much oil is needed to cause this side effect or how long and often it had been used before the gynecomastia presented in these few cases.

I think it was more of a heads-up that if you see this side effect in a young child then you should stop the use of the oil and you will have "rapid reversal of gynecomastia ".

So as things stand now I will continue to use the Johnson and Johnson lotion...it says lavender and chamomile scent I would say do whatever you feel best about doing. :)

Dawn

Archived