Cedars-Sinai researchers present new endocrine findings at 2 international conferences

• Chief Cushie

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...c-crp060507.php

Public release date: 5-Jun-2007

simi.singer@cshs.org

310-423-7798

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center

Cedars-Sinai researchers present new endocrine findings at 2 international conferences

LOS ANGELES (June 5, 2007) ? Researchers in endocrinology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center are making several presentations at the upcoming annual meetings of The Endocrine Society (June 2-5, 2007) and the International Pituitary Congress (June 5-7, 2007).

At The Endocrine Society meeting, Shlomo Melmed, M.D., director of the Burns and Allen Research Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and one of the world?s experts on human growth hormone and the pituitary gland, will be presenting ?The Year in Pituitary,? an overview of new research in the field including innovative insights linking the pituitary gland to the understanding of systemic illness, mental disorders and the aging process, advances in subcellular mechanisms in the pathogenesis of pituitary disorders, and the publication of new data reflecting long term medical treatment outcomes in patients with acromegaly. Melmed, who is president and founding member of the Pituitary Society and president of the International Society of Endocrinology, will also highlight challenges scientists continue to face continue to face as they advance the diagnosis, treatment and understanding of endocrine disorders. (Plenary session)

The two other presentations by Cedars-Sinai researchers at The Endocrine Society meeting are:

• Management of Acromegaly: Prolactinoma, Cushings and Acromegaly: an Update in Medical Therapy for Pituitary Ademomas, (Ancillary Symposium)

• Bench to Bedside: Effects of Hormones on Breast Cancer, ?Oct-1 Induces hPTTG1 Expression in Human Breast Cancer? (Poster Presentation)

The following presentations will be made by Cedars-Sinai researchers at the International Pituitary Congress:

• Comparison of Endoscopic Endonasal and Microscopic Endonasal Surgery for Pituitary Adenoma (Wednesday, June 6, 3:30 p.m. poster presentation)

• EGF Receptor ? Mediated Control of Pituitary Tumor Growth and Hormone Secretion (Wednesday, June 6, 3:30 p.m. poster presentation).

• Tumor Volume Analysis of Non-functioning Pituitary Adenoma Growth (Wednesday, June 6, 3:30 p.m. poster presentation)

• Silent Corticotroph Adenomas: An Aggressive Clinico-Pathologic Entity Distinct From Non-Functioning Pituitary Tumors (Wednesday, June 6, 11 a.m. poster presentation)

• Pttg (Pituitary tumor transforming gene) is Required for Pituitary Tumor Development in Rb+/- Mice by Preventing p21-dependent Senescence (Wednesday, June 6, 3:30 poster presentation).

• Identification of Murine Pituitary Tumor Progenitor Cells (Thursday, June 7, 1 p.m. oral presentation)

###

The first in Southern California and one of only 10 hospitals in the state whose nurses have been honored with the prestigious Magnet designation, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is one of the largest nonprofit academic medical centers in the Western United States. For 19 consecutive years, it has been named Los Angeles? most preferred hospital for all health needs in an independent survey of area residents. Cedars-Sinai is internationally renowned for its diagnostic and treatment capabilities as well as breakthroughs in biomedical research and superlative medical education. It ranks among the top 10 non-university hospitals in the nation for its research activities and is fully accredited by the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. (AAHRPP). Additional information is available at www.cedars-sinai.edu.

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

I just called the woman listed on the press release. I left a message and asked how I can get a copy of some of those presentations. I am particularly interested in this "Year of the Pituitary" presentation. I will be sure to let you know when I hear back from her.

• Over 2000 Posts

Hey, I'm interested in the presentation on Pituitary and systemic diseases also. They're trying to figure out if I have a systemic illness due to a pit lesion that has caused me to be panhypo-pituitary.

:sad_angel:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member of the 1000 Post Club
Hey, I'm interested in the presentation on Pituitary and systemic diseases also. They're trying to figure out if I have a systemic illness due to a pit lesion that has caused me to be panhypo-pituitary.

:o)

I haven't heard anything. I will let you know if I can rustle something up.

Archived