Both slow-release and regular-form metformin improve glycemic control without altering plasma visfatin level in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus

• Chief Cushie

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...0aab49e2071b12d

Both slow-release and regular-form metformin improve glycemic control without altering plasma visfatin level in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus

Chang-Hsun Hsieha, Chih-Tseung Hea, Chien-Hsing Leea, Ling-Yi Wua and Yi-Jen HungCorresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author

aDivision of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Tri-Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC

Received 19 December 2006; accepted 20 March 2007. Available online 6 July 2007.

Abstract

Both slow-release (SR) and regular-release (RR) metformin were effective in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. We compare the efficacy, safety, and effects on serum adipocytokines and inflammatory markers of both regimens in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. A prospective, randomized, double-blind study enrolled 55 patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, which were randomly assigned to receive either metformin SR or RR (at a maximal dosage of 2000 mg/d for 12 weeks). Glycosylated hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), fasting plasma glucose, adipocytokines, C-reactive protein, and insulin resistance and pancreatic beta-cell function were measured before and after treatment. Significant decreases (P

Corresponding Author Contact InformationCorresponding author. Tel.: +886 2 87927182; fax: +886 287927183.

Metabolism

Volume 56, Issue 8, August 2007, Pages 1087-1092

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Thanks for the article Mary,

Because of living through the end stages of damage from diabetes with my mom and sister I am always on the alert to watch for this type of info. My hubby is showing signs of elevated sugar (prediabetic) despite regular exercise and cutting out carbs. He has always been fit and athletic so this really took me by surprise. He is currently on metformin.

I noticed that metformin RR improved beta-cell function. which is good news because I am very concerned about him being on this particular med but afraid for him not to be.

Susan, I am very appreciative of your experience and observations that you share, and especially the good results that you have been able to get from changes in diet and livestyle. You have genuinely motivated me to not just accept type 2 as inevitable for myself. The lack of its effect on insulin sensitivity was disappointing but perhaps (always looking for the hopeful) in individuals where the elevated insulin levels are not as long standing it is not the issue it becomes once the disease is full blown and entrenched. Am I being naive? or just uninformed?

den

thanks for the cool artical mary !

i am still comfused over all this diabetis stuff. i dont have it but i have double the amount of insuline that i should have.

dr put me on byetta, the insurance wont cover it cause they say its a preventive medicine.

i feel great.

better than i have in years. maybe ignorence is bliss. the byetta seems to make eating like it used to be when i was a kid. um... eat and then you get energy. my body responds to when i eat now. eating used to make me so sleepy. now it gives me engery.

the byetta makes me feel as if my stomach is bloated and full for hours after i eat too.the insurance wont pay for it unless i take the metformin too.

dr thinks its important and is pushing the insurance to cover.

thanks again for the articles

love

Archived