Tell me what you think...(Graphic for Cushing's)

Well I took it upon myself to do a graphic for my disease. Mary and everyone involved with this site and in making the world aware of this devastating disease, I hope that it can get made into something to be seen the world over to bring a better understanding of all of our suffering from this highly undiagnosed disease process. I want to thank you all for your efforts and all the great information that can be found on this site. The colors are from the original ribbons that I have seen on the site. Please give me your opinions and I hope that I didn't step on any toes. I just happened to see a request for a graphic for Cushing's and this is what came to me.

bumpersticker.gif

bumpersticker1.gif

Cushingsdisease.gif

I love the graphics, they are beautiful and I can see that you put a lot of work into them. However, in my honest opinion, the word "ugly" and "disease" together might put people off - what about "Cushing's - the disregarded silent killer"? Or something along the lines that acknowledges how frquently it's dismissed and that it's complications can be fatal if left untreated? Just an idea, I don't want to step on any toes either!

I like it. Especially the "ugly"...I remember when I was first reading up on it---and tried to tell others what I'd learned---I heard it called the "ugly disease" and "old horse" disease. I felt like an ugly, old horse back then.

Shelly, you're on a roll tonight!!! I guess i have refused to feel ugly, hair, stretchmarks, weight gain, lumps, humps and all - but i do know what you mean about feeling like an old horse! By the way, my laundry (for 6 people) has piled up for a month, so i dont think I'm going to make it over to your place!

Hugs and Love!

GRRR! I had a well thought out post all typed out and it disappeared. We all know how hard it is for someone with Cushing's to have a well thought out anything, but here I go again. :( This disease is called "The Ugly Disease" on many websites including here. I can't really think of a disease that deserves this description more than Cushing's. It is a disease that not only turns your insides ugly as most diseases do this one ends up doing a number on your physical self too. On a personal level, the buffalo hump Quasimodo would call large, the facial and chest hair most pre-pubescent males would be extremely happy to have, miscellaneous acne, boils, and sores you wouldn't even wish on your worst enemy, the round and red face Santa would be glad to pass on, the 400+ pounds that not even Atkins can get rid of all rolled up with the hypertension, feeling like you are insane, peeing like a race horse, headaches, muscle aches, tingling in your arms and legs makes ME call this "The Ugly Disease".

I tend to go with simple on graphics simply because simple is clean. The whole premise is to get the word out. The website is promoted and the graphic says to ask questions. No toes were stepped on here. B) I asked for opinions. I do think though that I needed to clarify my position and why it looks the way it does. It was just something that I worked on and thought I would share. Thanks for looking!!! B)

I never knew it was also called "the ugly disease" - i can certainly see your point now. I learn something new here everyday! As I said though, you did a beautiful job and your hard work shows!

Hugs and Love!

Cushings...The Ignored Disease!(or, what we would like to put...The Disease of Ignorant Doctors)

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Nice work! Cushing's most definitely is an "Ugly Disease" I'm not quite sure what other's take would be on it. But anyone suffering with Cushing's most definitely would call it that! I have always thought about "Cushing's......What you don't know, CAN hurt you." Something to entice people to ask questions about Cushing's because most people have never heard of it.

I found this good news article about a woman on the East coast with Cushing's. She calls it an "Ugly Disease". Sounds just like all of us & what we have been through. Is this doctor on the "Helpful Doctors" list? Sounds pretty knowledgeable.

http://archive.seacoastonline.com/news/113...shings-n29.html

Once again I feel a need to explain myself. I didn't coin the term "The Ugly Disease". It is just a term that describes to me the disease. I am not meaning to offend anyone or make them think I am calling them ugly. I believe people are being offended personally. From a marketing perspective, we are wanting to get the word out and I honestly as well as my husband, believe that calling it "The Ugly Disease" will have people saying, "HUH??? Tell me about this disease. What is it that makes this disease ugly?" The graphic I believe will make people want to know more and it clearly and simply states to ask about it and gives a place to go to get more information. Plain and simple. Like I said this was just something I did in response to a graphic being asked for. Hard to have a tough skin with Cushing's alone! :) I feel like a mommabear protecting my young here. LOL Please do not be offended by the terminology I use. Some of you don't let it make you feel ugly, but for me and looking at what I see in the mirror, I feel ugly. So it suits me. :)

Oh no offense taken at all!!! :) Anyone who has suffered with Cushing's would definitely call it the Ugly Disease....it know it makes me feel ugly both inside & outside! So I'm totally understanding you there. It's a nasty ,unforgiving and destructive disease that's for sure!!!

• Over 2000 Posts

I love the graphics. Great work!

I had to smile when I saw this because it immediately made me think of my son. He is a San Diego Chargers fan, and the team colors are the same as the Cushings colors. 34191.jpg

For his 21st birthday last week I ordered personalized M&Ms in yellow and blue, with "Kevin is 21 today" written on them.

Maybe we should order Cushings M&Ms!

It's true, they do call this the "Ugly Disease" and I can see why. It's not that we're ugly people, but this disease is so awful and part of its power is to make us feel ugly and give drs an excuse to dismiss us.

I like the graphic. Its colors are eye-catching and the phrase "ugly disease" is just shocking enough to give someone pause and make them ask "what is this?"...exactly what you want them to do.

Thank you so much for sharing! You have quite a talent and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Hugs,

Heather

• Over 2000 Posts

I love it!! I honestly think the more avenues and ways to communicate about this disease, the better!!!!

Cindy, that article was great!! Notice how she said at the end she wanted to do the article as a "call out to medical professionals" to bring awareness!!!

I honestly think a campaign targeted towards family doctors would be very valuable. They see everyone first. They also are the ones who will see the ongoing changes in a patient.

:) Gina

Shelly, you're on a roll tonight!!! I guess i have refused to feel ugly, hair, stretchmarks, weight gain, lumps, humps and all - but i do know what you mean about feeling like an old horse! By the way, my laundry (for 6 people) has piled up for a month, so i dont think I'm going to make it over to your place!

Hugs and Love!

Hey I gotta blame something for looking like a crack-addict and feeling like the old gray mare...

I ain't what I used to be that's for sure!!!

6 people??? Yikes! You've got your work cut out for you!!! Take it easy...come summer, they'll find my body buried beneath all laundry...(just kidding :thumb: )

Go easy on that laundry folding and putting away---researchers may find a link between that and Cushings...

Anyone can feel free to use it. I just ask that it be unaltered (meaning I wish my initials and copyright to remain on the image). It can be resized and used freely. I am sure that the website would love the exposure. (Correct me if I am wrong Mary.) Thanks for all the positive comments. I can only hope that it raises alot of questions and gives everyone an opportunity to teach someone about their disease.

Archived