West Mile Virus

Guest Kala

Guest terry jackon1

West Nile Virus Prevention

Avoid Mosquito Bites to Avoid Infection

Human illness from West Nile virus is rare, even in areas where the virus has been reported. The chance that any one person is going to become ill from a mosquito bite is low.

You can further reduce your chances of becoming ill by protecting yourself from mosquito bites. To avoid mosquito bites:

Apply insect repellent containing DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) when you're outdoors. For more information see Using Insect Repellent Safely from the EPA.

Avoid applying repellent to children less than 2 years old. Use care in applying repellent to small children, and don't put repellent on their hands because it may get into their mouth or eyes and cause irritation.

Read and follow the product directions whenever you use insect repellent.

Wear long-sleeved clothes and long pants treated with repellent and stay indoors during peak mosquito feeding hours (dusk until dawn) to further reduce your risk.

Limit the number of places available for mosquitos to lay their eggs by eliminating standing water sources from around your home.

Check to see if there is an organized mosquito control program in your area. If no program exists, work with your local government officials to establish a program. The American Mosquito Control Association can provide advice, and their book Organization for Mosquito Control is a useful reference. Another source of information about pesticides and repellents is the National Pesticide Information Center, which also operates a toll-free information line: 1-800-858-7378.

About the Virus, the Disease, and Its Spread

West Nile virus is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito, and can infect people, horses, many types of birds, and some other animals.

Most people who become infected with West Nile virus will have either no symptoms or only mild ones.

On rare occasions, West Nile virus infection can result in a severe and sometimes fatal illness known as West Nile encephalitis (an inflammation of the brain). The risk of severe disease is higher for persons 50 years of age and older.

There is no evidence to suggest that West Nile virus can be spread from person to person or from animal to person.

Reporting Dead Birds

Dead birds in an area may mean that West Nile virus is circulating between the birds and the mosquitoes in that area. Over 110 species of birds are known to have been infected with West Nile virus. Although birds, particularly crows and jays, infected with WN virus can die or become ill, most infected birds do survive.

The public can play an important role in monitoring West Nile virus through reporting dead birds to state and local health departments. States have different policies for collecting and testing birds, so see the Links to State and Local Government Sites to find out how to report dead birds in your area.

For More Information

For more information about the West Nile virus, please visit the MedicineNet.com West Nile Fever Center.

The above information has been provided with the kind permission of the Centers for Disease Control (www.cdc.gov).

Last Editorial Review: 8/15/02

baaa.gif ?baaa.gif ?baaa.gif

Just wondering: Are there any Cushies out there who are not being bitten by mosquitoes? This was one of my symptoms before I was diagnosed, but unfortunately returned post surgery. I asked my endo about it and he said they could probably sense the overproduction of homones and such in my body. The first time  I was bitten after surgery it was like "YES!" I know that's weird, but it was an indication I was getting better. My female cat was also terrified of me (only me, in a household of four) until after my surgery. Several weeks after my surgery she jumped up on my lap for the first time. Go figure. The doc said it was the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...

:but:  I commented, even as a YOUTH that "I must not 'taste' as good" as those around me because I got so few misquito bites.  Funny thing was that under age 25, I had some Addison's symptoms:  trouble tolerating heat, fatique, low immune system, low blood pressure.