Study of Cushings/Pseudo

• Over 2000 Posts

Jenn,

This is up at OHSU.  You can call Dr. Samuels directly and inquire about the study.  You may need to have an ACTH test run by your doctor, but otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if you qualify.  The best part is that if they prove you have Cushings then you can have the surgery there.  Actually, the vest best part is that it's all FREE since you're in a study.  I've seen Dr. Samuels and she's an excellent doctor, answers her phone, is caring, etc.  Enough from me, here's the details:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct....p>Study of Hypercortisolism in Cushing's Syndrome and Stress-Induced Pseudo-Cushing's Syndrome

This study is currently recruiting patients.

Sponsored by

National Center for Research Resources (NCRR)

Oregon Health Sciences University

Purpose

OBJECTIVES: I. Determine whether Cushing's syndrome and stress-induced pseudo-Cushing's syndrome can be differentiated by evaluating endogenous corticotropin-releasing hormone activity.

Condition  

Cushing Syndrome  

MEDLINEplus related topics:  Adrenal Gland Disorders;   Circulatory Disorders

Study Type: Observational

Study Design: Screening

Further Study Details:

PROTOCOL OUTLINE: Patients undergo a 30-hour infusion of deuterated cortisol with peripheral and petrosal vein measurements of adrenocorticotropin hormone (ACTH) and corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH). Patients also have a 2-day, low-dose dexamethasone suppression test. Patients with ACTH tumors are referred for pituitary surgery as indicated. Patients without Cushing's syndrome are entered as controls. During scheduled radiologic procedures, these subjects undergo ACTH and CRH sampling from the petrosal vein or cavernous sinus following a deuterated cortisol infusion.

Eligibility

Genders Eligible for Study:  Both

Participants:  Healthy Volunteers  and  Patients  

Criteria

PROTOCOL ENTRY CRITERIA: Suspected adrenocorticotropin hormone (ACTH)-dependent Cushing's syndrome No pregnant women Effective contraception required of fertile women

Expected Total Enrollment:  40

Location and Contact Information

Oregon

Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland,   Oregon,   97201-3098,   United States; Recruiting

Mary H. Samuels  503-494-5242    

Study chairs or principal investigators

Mary H. Samuels,  Study Chair

Oregon Health Sciences University    

More Information

Study ID Numbers  199/11902;  OHSU-3324

NLM Identifier  NCT00004343

Date study started October 1999

Record last reviewed  December 1999