The Girl Who Couldn't Wake UP (Pituitary)

staticnrg

Monday, December, 15, 2008 at 10:00 PM ET on Discovery Health

Mystery Diagnosis

The Girl Who Couldn't Wake Up

After a terrifying car crash disrupts her life, 16 year-old Jennifer Julian is struck by a string of bizarre fainting spells; Cara Mae Lower is a happy and healthy 11year-old until one day she comes home from school complaining of a terrible headache.

(Check your local listings for the time. It may vary from mine.)

A must-read article, 'The girl who couldn't wake up', details the events after Jennifer Julian Jenkins was in a wreck which caused the pituitary to be separated from its stalk (infundibulum). She was misdiagnosed and mistreated for 5 long years.

Also Tuesday, December, 16, 2008 at 02:00 AM ET on Discovery Health

This is the gal who was in a wreck, pituitary was severed from the stalk, and no one could figure out what was wrong with her. Sounds like it will be good!

Robin

• Over 2000 Posts

I watched both segments! Both were great . . . . first about pituitary deficiencies and second on pseudo-tumor cerebri (intracranial hypertension).

Thing I can't get past is how doctors just write people off and don't believe them! I'm so mad after watching the second segment that I could scream!!! That poor girl! Her parents had to be the ones to "go to bat" for her and they failed her. Thank goodness they found out what was wrong and fixed it just in the nick of time.

Robin . . . . thanks for posting about this episode! That's the only reason I knew it was on!! :wub:

Hugs

Amy

I woke up in time to watch it.

It's surprising to me that so many doctors STILL missed it, when her symptoms were so dramatic!

A couple of things I wasn't too keen on:

1) They never mentioned that this can be caused by other things.

2) Apparently, two pills "cure" this condition.

At the end of the second case, I turned to my husband and said: "Those have been mentioned on the message boards too."

As they shared the second gal's story, I kept telling my husband that it was interesting that all of this started around the time this girl started experiencing her first period. I would have liked a bit more of an explanation as to whether this was related to endocrine changes.

• Over 2000 Posts

Thanks for posting about this Robin, I saw your post and caught it just in time.

At the end of each segment when they ask the treating doc, "why did it take so long for a doctor to figure this out"..........they both literally said the same thing...."well, there were lots of non-specific symptoms that could have happened to anyone......blah! blah! blah!" A real, cover-your-fellow-docs-butts type response....boo!!

I was infuriated when the doc said, "all you need to do is take these 2 little pills and you'll have your life back".......kill me now!!!!!

I could have bonged those parents on the head in a big way!!!!

Archived