Monic', pituitary interview 2/4/2010, 7:30PM eastern

MaryO

• Chief Cushie

Monic's Bio:

Hello My name is Monic?. I first started my Cushing?s journey when I left for college in 2006 I was 19. One month after I left home my symptoms started to appear. The first signs right from the beginning was weight gain and having no period.

After a very long year of trying to figure out what was wrong with me I was sent to OHSU to see Dr.Cook. After many Dr. Appointments and being told I was crazy, Dr. Cook started testing me for Cushing?s. To his great surprise (no surprise to me) I passed all of the various testing to prove that I did have Cushing?s. 3 months later I had pituitary surgery. I was sent home but it was unclear if my surgery had worked.

A month later I had my period and things were starting to look good. I returned to school that spring. By the end of spring quarter all of my symptoms had returned.

I then went back to Dr.Cook only to be disappointed by his reply and his lack of confidence that I really did have Cushing?s. (Even after I had passed all of the tests.)

After a couple of long months, I decided to go see Dr.Ludlam at Swedish Hospital in Seattle WA. The rest is history. After another long couple months of testing Dr.L was confident I still had Cushing?s. He gave me the choice to choose between a BLA and a second pituitary. On March 10th 09? I had my BLA and life has been much better since. I can?t thank Dr.L and Kelley enough. Their team stuck with me against the odds. Dr.L also let me be the deciding factor on what I would like to do for treatment which was a huge blessing to me.

I truly believe that there are many people suffering from Cushing?s disease that do not know they have it. I want to tell them that there is hope and to never give up. I would never be cured today if I had given up or listened to the first Dr. that told me ?No you do NOT have Cushings.?

This is a very short version of my Cushing?s story. I am in the process of making my own website. In the mean time, I would love to hear from anyone who is struggling with this disease or if you know someone who is. Questions, Comments, and Conversations are welcome!

Never give up!

Please listen February 4 at 7:30PM eastern Archives will be available after the chat. The call-in number is (646) 200-0162

Archived