Could it be Cushings?

Guest Erin

Question

Hello All,

I hope this isn't too long for everyone to read. I'm Erin and I'm 29 years old. I'm a Type I Diabetic diagnosed at 13 years old. I've always been overweight to some extent or another with times that I'm comfortable with my weight other times that I'm not. At the end of high school my weight shot up by about 30lbs and then I dropped 50lbs while in college (without trying, and was attributed to poor diabetic control although it was never that bad). At this time my Endo suggested I be tested for Cushings, but I never had the test completed (I'll attribute that to being a lazy college student). I have a round face and I do have a hump on my back that I can remember always having. My weight is almost all in my trunk. I have a large stomach, shoulders and I'm large chested. My legs/hips have always been many sizes smaller then the rest of me. I've put back on weight lately (without changing my diet or exercise) and I've noticed that my stomach seems very bloated and my pants aren't fitting well. I've also been to the doctor about the fact that I have, what appear to be, broken blood vessels on my arms, chest and face that I haven't had in the past (he told me I have a 'touch' of Rosesea). I've always had a ton of skin tags (a few on my neck, and a lot in my arm pits).

During my pregnancies I gained a lot of weight and topped out after my second one at 280lbs. Last August I started a rigorous (but healthy) diet and exercise routine and manged to get down around 200lbs. Last December all of a sudden the weight loss stopped and I assumed I was in a 'plateau'. Since that time I've had more & more strange things happen. I have pain on the left side middle of my back that sometimes refers to my stomach, I have acid reflux (which is being blamed for the pain). I have had on/off blood pressure issues that have not resolved with my weight loss. I've had heart palpitations, muscle pain, fatigue/weakness in my muscles (primarily my legs).

Now in the last month or so I've had this strange sensation of having a constant adrenaline rush (if that makes any sense). I have a foggy head, racing heart and constant feelings of my 'stomach dropping' (I hope you know what I mean). It often comes with shortness of breath, etc. Yesterday I took a pain reliever that had caffeine in it and had severe symptoms like I described above and ended up in the ER. They ended up telling me that the 65mg of caffeine in the pill gave me a bad reaction. But, today I'm still not myself and I'm still feeling the issues. They did check my heart and ran labs to verify (that at least I don't appear) to have any cardiac issues.

I'm going to talk to my Endo about this and I think she'll be willing to test me for it. But does any of this seem like I could be related to Cushings? I just want to feel better!

1 answer to this question

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Hello Erin, welcome to the boards, you are in the right place to get the answers that you need.

you sound like you need a full endocrine work up:

thyroid- tsh, free t4, free t3, Anti-TPO and Anti-TG,

parathyroid - PTH levels,

growth hormone - igf-1 levels,

Adrenal - aldosterone, serum cortisol, epinephrine & norepinephrine, 24 hour urinary free cortisol, 24 hour urine metanephrines

sex hormones- estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, dheas,

pituitary hormones - acth, FSH, LH, prolactin

You need a good endocrinologist to check for any disorders such as- hypopituitarism, graves disease, pheochromocytoma, hashimoto's thyroiditis, growth hormone deficiency, late onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia, multiple endocrine neoplasia, or cushing's disease. I truly hope that a doctor will identify & cure your symptoms, good luck & God bless