Myth: YOU are the problem and the reason for your cortisol levels...

MaryO

• Chief Cushie
Myth: YOU are the problem and the reason for your cortisol levels. Having issues with too much or too little cortisol, the stress hormone, means that YOU are stressing too much or are too anxious. "YOU could control your levels if you would JUST calm down!"

Fact: YOU are NOT the problem! The dysfunction in your body is the problem. It is true that cortisol is your stress hormone or fight or flight hormone. This hormone helps your body compensate for and deal with trauma or stress, both physical and emotional. So, yes, your body does have a reaction to stress.

However, for people with Cushing's, that hormone goes haywire. Too much cortisol leads to Cushing's symptoms and having too little cortisol leads to Adrenal Insufficiency. Normally, our bodies' response to stress is to pump out 10X the amount of your baseline cortisol to cope. If it is not able to do this, it will go into shock and can lead to death unless the emergency protocol is followed with an emergency injection of steroid. No amount of coping skills can "control" one's physiological response to stress.

I wasnt stressed and i was calm until they started telling me I was the cause of my high cortisol levels. Mind you this was AFTER they removed 95% of my pituitary gland. There cant possibly be another reason why my levels are still high, so IT must be ME !!! It eventually got to the point where i was stressed and i couldnt calm down as i was being blamed and i didnt know how to fix it. It did get to crisis point ! I'm almost too scared to go to my next appointment. Im sure my levels have dropped, but i thought that last time and they were still high. But if that doctor tells me again that its something im doing im going to scream at her. I stopped using moisturisers, my skin is so dry, i stopped using Powder after Baths/showers, i stopped using herbs in my cooking. I dont take anything over the counter, only my prescription meds that they told me to take ! I am 100% sure nothing im doing is causing my levels to go high....yet you get told enough time its your fault and it becomes your fault and then the crisis assessment team is at your house every second day checking to make sure your safe ! Not good !

Doctors honestly could learn a thing or two about cushings thats for sure !