Low TSH, Low FT4, buffalo hump and many other symptoms

Guest Kate

Question

I have been struggling with progressive symptoms of extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, increased anxiety and depression, rage, acne, weight gain, and sweating just doing small tasks over the last 3 to 4 years. I also have a very hard time controlling my body temperature. I get really cold, turn the heat up, get really hot, turn the heat down, over and over throughout the day. (I’m 36 years old) If I’m sitting I’m freezing. If I’m up moving I’m on fire and sweating. Just such dramatic ends of the spectrum. Anyway, for a long time my GP was only checking my TSH. (Hypothyroidism runs strong in my family). My TSH has always been on the low end of normal. I was feeling so awful, I insisted they were missing something and asked them to check my FT4. That has also always ran at the lower end of normal. They treat me with Levothyroxine to try to increase my FT4, but in doing so, cause my TSH to go even lower. I googled what it meant to have a Low TSH with a low FT4 and it said it could be hypothyroidism caused by a pituitary tumor. I then came across Cushing’s which started showing pictures of the classic “buffalo hump” and my jaw hit the floor. About a month ago, I caught myself in profile in my mirror and was completely taken aback by my appearance. My husband and I aren’t sure how long my neck has looked this way. Either way I was just wondering what others thoughts were. My GP has ordered some kind of cortisol test thus far that I’ll go for tomorrow. I would also like an MRI of my pituitary and possibly adrenals. I’m just tired of sleeping my life away and have been searching for answers for so long. Please let me know what you think of the hump. Are there other causes for this appearance? Thanks

3B5BC32A-50AA-4141-B914-558B9EAEC557.jpeg

1A014DF2-AB80-49B3-B387-2B002E4906CD.png

517C5EBF-D8F4-44CA-926F-6B244E920460.jpeg

380F5D00-9202-4698-A44B-EF977DA01DA5.png

2 answers to this question

• Chief Cushie

Your story sounds so much like mine that it's scary.  I was never diagnosed with thyroid issues, though. 

I hope your GP's test shows something but generally, you need to go to an endocrinologist who is experienced in Cushing's.  (Many stick with diabetes)

Looking back, I think it was the buffalo hump that really helped me on my way to a diagnosis.

Best of luck to you - I hope you'll keep us posted.

• Like 1

Guest Miranda

Did you ever get your test results back? My neck hump showed up about 3-4 years and my Dr just says I’m fat and after ordering blood tests to test my thyroid, diagnosed me with hypothyroid but still didn’t say anything about my neck hump and suddenly weight gain.