Welcome to the Cushing's Help Boards

Welcome to the Cushing's Help Boards. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Don't worry - this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Be a part of the Cushing's Help Boards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search for past information from more than 10,000 members
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Get a free blog and photo gallery
  • Customize your experience here
  • And much more...
Please join us!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cushing's awareness bands for april 8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vixy

Board Member

• Long-time Board Member
  • 65 posts

• United States

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:07 AM

i mentioned many times, over the past few weeks, about cushing's awareness bands to my family. whenever i do, however, they kind of just go "hm" or act like they didn't hear me. they know what i'm dealing with is terrible, and they are all worried and scared about how sick i am. i don't understand why they don't want to support me, however, by wearing cushing's bands or even cushing's pins from other sites (i forget where i saw those). my husband would wear one if i asked him directly (he'd do anything for me) but he usually doesn't wear accessories cuz he thinks they're uncomfortable.

my parents and sister, on the other hand, have worn the yellow cancer bracelets and pink bracelets for breast cancer (my mom lost a friend to breast cancer and we lost my aunt through marriage to it also). they have many breast cancer items (ribbons, pins, stuffed animals). so it's not like they don't wear things like that. i just don't understand why cushing's doesn't seem serious enough to support through bands. it hurts me a great deal (amongst other things).

so i guess what made me think about this and what made me write about this is how april 8 is coming up. i asked my husband why he thinks they won't wear the bands and he says he doesn't know, but that they're just being jerks probably.

so anyway, do you guys wear the bands? do you have family or friends that do in support of you? if so, how did they acquire the bands? did you buy them and give them out? did they do it on their own? how did you inform them of them?

thanks. i hope i don't seem too sensitive, it's just what the whole thing symbolizes to me, i guess.

#2 MaryO

Website Founder

• ~Chief Cushie~
  • 12,919 posts
  • Interests:My family, computers, music, reading, ice cream, handbells, the Internet, Chinese Food, chocolate, watching ice skating competitions, napping, piano duets, Kindle, iPad...in no particular order.

• United States

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

My family (husband and grad-school son0 wears the bands :huh:

There's a link at the top of the page to them, where it says Awareness bands or http://www.cushings-...om/oscommerce2/

The current ones are light blue with yellow debossed print that says ♥ Cushing's Awareness ♥ on the front and It's About Time! on the back.

#3 JenS

Pit Surgery 4/04, BLA 3/06

• Over 2000 Posts
  • 3,204 posts
  • Interests:Pit surgery by Dr. S. 4/28/04, removed ACTH secreting corticotroph hyperplasia and prolactinoma. Diagnosed by Dr. F. as cyclical pituitary Cushings. 2nd Surgery 7/21/04 for infection resulted in neuralgia. BLA in March 2006 as Hyperplasia returned. Possible Nelson's syndrome.

• United States

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

I wear my blue one daily and my husband wears his yellow one daily. I gave one to my mom but I don't know if she wears it a lot (I suspect not) and to some friends but not sure they wear it as I don't see much of them right now.

#4 staticnrg

Robin

• Mega Poster!
  • 6,856 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Sci Fi, computers, people, kids, and life

• United States

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

MaryO, the new blue ones are so pretty! My daughters wanted one, each, and I ordered them each one. I love them. I'm going to order some more, soon. There are several folks who want one. Thank you!

Hugs!
Robin

#5 Vixy

Board Member

• Long-time Board Member
  • 65 posts

• United States

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

well, glad your family members wear them. :huh: wish mine did. can you guys tell me how you brought them up to them?

i'd wear one but i only go out like once a week at most. maybe i will start wearing one when i do go out.

#6 Vixy

Board Member

• Long-time Board Member
  • 65 posts

• United States

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

jen, may i ask where you are in nj? i'm in rutherford. cool to meet a fellow cushie in nj!

#7 Vixy

Board Member

• Long-time Board Member
  • 65 posts

• United States

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

well, after casually telling my hubby about this, he said he had no idea how important this was to me. he then bought a bunch of bands and said he was meaning to buy them to wear, anyway. he also got some for family members, and he's going to give them to them.

i'm very blessed to have such a caring, amazing man :blush:

#8 JenS

Pit Surgery 4/04, BLA 3/06

• Over 2000 Posts
  • 3,204 posts
  • Interests:Pit surgery by Dr. S. 4/28/04, removed ACTH secreting corticotroph hyperplasia and prolactinoma. Diagnosed by Dr. F. as cyclical pituitary Cushings. 2nd Surgery 7/21/04 for infection resulted in neuralgia. BLA in March 2006 as Hyperplasia returned. Possible Nelson's syndrome.

• United States

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:08 AM

I just gave them to my family and friends. I wear mine even if I do not go out.
I am in the town oh gosh... one or two over? very close to you - in Nutley... There are several of us Cushies around but not so many right in the area... check under the thread - where we are from...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users