Scott Hamilton Has A Pituitary Tumor

MaryO

• Chief Cushie

LOS ANGELES (AP) - World champion figure skater Scott Hamilton was diagnosed Thursday with a benign brain tumor, his publicist said.

Hamilton, 46, underwent a biopsy at The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, and doctors expected to release him from the hospital by Friday.

Hamilton has a slow-growing, non-cancerous tumor in the region of the pituitary gland, said Dr. Gene Barnett, chairman of the clinic's brain tumor institute. Hamilton's publicist, Michael Sterling, said the skater has had vision problems in recent weeks.

``We will be working with him on a treatment plan moving forward,'' Barnett said.

Hamilton was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1997 and treated with surgery and chemotherapy.

Hamilton, who lives in Los Angeles, is a four-time U.S. national champion, a four-time world champion and the 1984 Olympic gold medalist. He is now a skating show producer.

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Pehaps now Ohio people have a place to go if this doc is treating Hamilton. He should be able to help others and yes, yes, yes, Hamilton can bring awareness to this awful disease.

I am not sure if I would want to go to the doc that would do a biopsy on a pit tumor. He should have completly removed it or started tests to see what kind of tumor it is. It is kind of scary that they didn't consider this to be non-cancerous in the first6 place. I wonder what symptoms he has?

Trisha

• 2 weeks later...
  • Over 2000 Posts

That's interesting.

Funny, though - I went to a Psychic a few weeks ago and she told me that I looked well on the outside, but was very sick on the inside and she asked what it was that caused me to have terrible headaches. I explained best I could and she told me God was sending me a message to send my records to the Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion. I know nothing about the Cleveland Clinic or even if my insurance would cover it. Just thought that was interesting that she came up with that.

I hope Scott Hamilton does well in recovery. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• Chief Cushie

Olympic skater Scott Hamilton to have brain tumor treatment

.c The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - World champion figure skater Scott Hamilton will undergo a high-tech radiation therapy for a non-cancerous brain tumor, his publicist said Thursday.

Hamilton, 46, will have gamma knife treatment later this month at The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, said Dr. Gene Barnett, chairman of the clinic's brain tumor institute.

In the outpatient treatment, pinpoint doses of high radiation are delivered to kill the tumor while causing less damage to healthy tissue.

The treatment will take only a single visit but results usually are not known for at least a month.

``In Mr. Hamilton's case, he may need other minimally invasive procedures down the road to manage his tumor,'' Barnett said in a statement issued by the skater's publicist, Michael Sterling.

That is because the tumor has a fluid-filled cyst that can recur.

If that is the case, ``it would need to be drained by using a chemical to reduce or stop fluid production.'' Barnett said.

Hamilton was diagnosed last month with a slow-growing, non-cancerous tumor in the region of his pituitary gland. In 1997, he was diagnosed with testicular cancer and treated with surgery and chemotherapy.

``Scott's spirit and confidence in Dr. Barnett, his staff, and the treatment, remain very high,'' Sterling said. ``Needless to say, Scott is no stranger to adversity and has always faced every challenge in his life with great enthusiasm and an uncommon level of optimism.''

Hamilton, who lives in Los Angeles, is a four-time U.S. national champion, a four-time world champion and the 1984 Olympic gold medalist. He is now a skating show producer.