October 2006 Reader's Digest Features CUSHINGS Article

It's about time. I sent them several emails years ago telling them they needed to do a story about Cushing's. I hope I can find a copy of RD. I, as well as my Dad, stopped subscribing after years of being a long-time subscriber when they changed formats. I didn't like the fact that it became chock full of ads for pharmaceuticals. I started feeling like it went from "Reader's Digest" to "Big Pharma Digest." Plus I also noticed that the stories stopped being as heartwarming and compelling. I always looked forward to the animal stories and I started seeing less and less of them and more and more of the "watch what you eat" and "exercise more" articles. So I canceled my subscription. ;)

Cherri

It's about time. I sent them several emails years ago telling them they needed to do a story about Cushing's. I hope I can find a copy of RD. I, as well as my Dad, stopped subscribing after years of being a long-time subscriber when they changed formats. I didn't like the fact that it became chock full of ads for pharmaceuticals. I started feeling like it went from "Reader's Digest" to "Big Pharma Digest." Plus I also noticed that the stories stopped being as heartwarming and compelling. I always looked forward to the animal stories and I started seeing less and less of them and more and more of the "watch what you eat" and "exercise more" articles. So I canceled my subscription. :lol:

Cherri

I would have cancelled our subscription when they went to the change in format except it was a Christmas gift from mom-in-law.

The old RD used to be one of my favorite mags---but now, I feel that it's not much different from many others. After experiencing a particularly rough week, I was looking forward to reading something uplifting for a change---thank goodness for the Cushing article! It is helping my family and friends better understand what I'm going through and that it is not "all in my head".

BTW---don't we have enough mags to tell us what to eat and to exercise? I tell my family I'm more than happy to exercise---if my leg and butt muscles would just cooperate with me! I started up again on DHEA this week and it is helping.

i still get and read rd all the time and cant wait to see the article. i would be so nice to show it to my husband and my family and friends. i am a very well loved person but i tell you i just dont think i can strain them with this very much longer. they all love the bubbles me but they all run when they see the me with the rage face coming.

i hate rage me.. she is a bitch ... i pray she dont hurt someone someday.

please make sure the article gets here ... if i dont see it ill copy paste it on when i get the oct issue.

thanks for the heads up

barb

i still get and read rd all the time and cant wait to see the article. i would be so nice to show it to my husband and my family and friends. i am a very well loved person but i tell you i just dont think i can strain them with this very much longer. they all love the bubbles me but they all run when they see the me with the rage face coming.

i hate rage me.. she is a bitch ... i pray she dont hurt someone someday.

please make sure the article gets here ... if i dont see it ill copy paste it on when i get the oct issue.

thanks for the heads up

barb

I totally understand what you mean. On Sunday, the day before the RD issue showed up in the mail, I had hit one of my lowest points---not a pretty picture---and when I found the article on Cushings, it helped me to remember that I was not alone---and it has also helped my family, friends and others to understand what I am experiencing.

I hope this helps someone as much as it has helped me.

• Over 2000 Posts

Amazing how relative everything is... she threw away size 16 and size 18... I'd be happy to be a size 16 again. Hell... I'd be super excited. :o

just read the article ...& cried.

what we do go through.... what a waste of years of our lives....

julia

It's not a waste if you have helped others. I'm know it's not fun---but thank goodness for the help and support I have found here.

• Chief Cushie

Meri posted this article here: http://cushings.invisionzone.com/index.php...mp;#entry152353

Thanks, Meri!

Julia,

It made me cry too. Because it all hit so close to home. BUT it is yet another "magic surgery" article. I am supposedly cured of Cushing's but I don't feel like her. My weight keeps going up and I feel worse and worse. I wonder when all of US are going to get that "magic?"

Still, I am happy for her.

Cherri in AL

Sorry, I did not realize that the article had already been posted here-I was just so surprised that my sister told me about it! I have not been able to keep up with the boards recently, otherwise, it appears I would have known about it ten days ago!

Thanx for sharing the article and information!

Take care.

Meri