A Weird Thought (or maybe not so weird)

I've wondered if dogs could be trained to "detect" the excess presence of cortisol or other hormones. The reason I've wondered about this is due to a couple of things: First off, I heard of a doctor who said he thought that instead of doing blood work for labs, we could do "breath test". The other thing is that each morning since I've been sick, my black lab comes and sniffs my breath. I don't know why he does it, but he kind of makes a wincing or odd sound and then turns away. He doesn't do this to anyone else in my family.

With that in mind, I found an article about dogs being trained to detect cancer.

Dogs Trained To Smell Human Cancer

Man's best friend, will become man's best diagnostic tool, to detect cancer in there owners, and other people. There ability is more effective then conventional scientific equipment and least expensive A dog's ability to smell odors, can be trained to smell chemicals that are emitted in urine (example), by cancer cells. This odor from cancer cells can be detected in very small quantities. Bladder cancer is the ninth most common cancer worldwide, diagnosed in 330,000 new cases a year, and more then 130,000 deaths. Also, a dog can smell a person's breath, to detect if there is any development of lung cancer. Canine's sense of smell is generally 10,000 to 100,000 times greater then humans, because dogs have greater number of neurons, that act like smelling receptors to the brain.

Recent '60 Minutes' Show (June 2005), with correspondent Morely Safer, made arrangements with dog trainer Andy Cook, at the Hearing-Aid Dog Center near Amersham, England to conduct a test to see if a cocker spaniel, can detect a cancerous urine sample, from a patient diagnosed with bladder cancer. Six other samples where included, that came from patients with other diseases, and healthy patients. The test conclusively showed, that the cocker spaniel was able to detect the cancerous sample twice.

March 2004, Debbie Marvit -McGlothin, learned she was pregnant, and soon afterwords, her dog, a two year old shepherd-hound mix, began to sniff a tiny mole on the back of her leg. The dog was persistent, licking, biting and scratching the mole. Her doctor then took, a biopsy of the mole from her skin. Results from the laboratory proved the mole was melanoma, the most severe type of skin cancer. The remaining area around the mole was later removed, and she was clear of cancer. Another case study, in 2001, man had for 18 years, eczema on his leg. His pet Labrador started persistently sniffing this area of skin, and even when he was wearing trousers. His doctor examined this area, and diagnosed he had a tumor, which later had been removed. Afterwords, his dog stopped the attention on his leg.

Dr. Armand Cognetta, dermatologist at a clinic in Tallahassee Florida, worked with police department dog trainer, to train a dog to locate, and retrieve tissue samples of melanoma, which where stored in doctor's laboratory. The result of the study showed that the dog was able to find and retrieve these samples, 100 percent of the time. Dr. Cognetta, then had the dog smell suspected areas of cancer on patients. The dog was nearly 100 percent accurate, detecting cancerous skin lesions in these tested patients.

Dogtor Dogs (Dogtor Dogs: HC 77 Box 240, Altamont, TN 37301), a nonprofit organization kennel that specializes in training dogs to find human cancer. Including, detecting for lung cancer, skin cancer, prostate cancer and breast cancer. Takes two years to fully train a dog, from ten weeks of age. A trained dog can screen over 11, 500 people in a lifetime.

Early detection for cancer is essential, for better life expectancy in humans. A dog sense to detect smallest molecule of cancer may not always be detected, by conventional medical tests. Often, retesting can diagnose the cancer that a dog found earlier.

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Can you tell us more about these breath tests? Is this a cortisol test? Is it done at home or in the office? Anyone else heard about this test?

You know, come to think of it, my Maltese does the same thing. He sniffs my breath sometimes. Maybe I will test on those days and see if that yields some results....

I can't remember where I saw the thing about breath tests. I wonder if it was on a show like "Beyond Tomorrow" or something. It seemed to me that the doctor or scientist or whoever it was made the point that whatever is in your blood is also in your breath. Kind of makes sense. I'll try to see if I can google something on it.

Interesting that your dog does the sniff thing too.

• Over 2000 Posts

ROFLOL just like the old joke!

You've got your very own black Lab tests there, Shelly! Now, if Ami's cats take an interest in you, you'll have a Cat scan goin' on too!

I have no doubt that dogs, and critters in general, are aware of what's goin' on. That something is going on.

I think it's a great experiment. If you have a dog, or other critter, test when they are paying more attention to you. I know that when I had my Astro, there were definately days where he would be more attentive to me than others. This has been the case with all the dogs I've ever had. Cats too.

I can't remember where I saw the thing about breath tests. I wonder if it was on a show like "Beyond Tomorrow" or something. It seemed to me that the doctor or scientist or whoever it was made the point that whatever is in your blood is also in your breath. Kind of makes sense. I'll try to see if I can google something on it.

Interesting that your dog does the sniff thing too.

I found the story:

Beyond Tomorrow Breath Scanner Page

Hi, Shelley! This is very, very interesting. I've been saying for a long time they need to develop an at-home cortisol test similar to the glucometer for diabetes where one can have an immediate reading. This would be another way that could happen, perhaps! I went to the home page of the developer of this test and found the contact page (click me) where I found an email address. I emailed them with my idea. It won't hurt!

Hugs!

Robin

I got a response already!!

Robin:

Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, we do not yet have a breath test for Cushing's disease, but who knows what the future might bring?

Best regards, and good luck!

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Phillips MD, FACP

Menssana Research, Inc

Business office: 1 Horizon Road, Suite 1415,

Fort Lee, NJ 07024-6510, USA

Telephone/fax: 201 886 7004

Breath Research Laboratory,

EDC III, 211 Warren Street,

Newark, NJ 07103, USA

Phone: 973 643 5464 Fax: 973 643 6464

Clinical Professor of Medicine,

New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY

e-mail: mphillips@menssanaresearch.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW ROBIN!!!

That is so awesome! I just went to their contact page that you linked to---and it's real interesting to see what they all are doing.

Who knows---maybe Cushies will catch a break with the research they're involved in.