What medical resources do you use?

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

I can't find the right section to post this question in, so I'll just post here (sorry).

I am looking for a good medical reference book that will help me with testing and treatment and what to ask the doctor. I find that many online sites give only the basics about a disease, not how to get treatment with lab tests. What medical resources do you use?

I found this one book and thought it looked good. Has anyone used this? I thought it was an interesting perspective... like the one I need. Here's Patient X who complains of this and that. This seemed like a book that offered guidance to diagnosis.

Nurse Practitioner Manual of Clinical Skills: Manual of Clinical Skills (Paperback)

by Sue Cross (Author), Myfanwy Rimmer (Author), Barbara Stilwell (Author)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List Price: $75.95 (FOUND ONE ONLINE FOR $42)

Price: $75.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Editorial Reviews

Book Description

This comprehensive skills manual is designed for students and qualified NPs in health care who are learning to talk to patients, examine them, and to understand and assess their problems. It deals with the health history, common and important symptoms, and the assessment of mental status. In sections devoted to body regions and body systems, the book describes the sequence and techniques of physical examination, and helps the reader to identify selected abnormalities. It emphasizes common or important problems (rather than the infrequent or esoteric) found in both adult and childhood conditions. The sections are designed to help readers apply their knowledge to interpreting symptoms, examining the human body, and understanding physical signs. It is an invaluable resource written specifically for Nurse Practitioners by Nurse Practitioners.

I've never found a single source or authority that could be trusted for accuracy, thouroughness, and, most important, subtlety and nuance in complex situations.

Mostly, I use PubMed, the information resource from the National Library of Medicine. It's at www.nlm.nih.gov, click on "health information" then "PubMed."

It takes a lot of following the links and reading across various disciplines to tease out the most reliable information.

The one source I've used a lot that's provided a lot of good information (though not faultless) is endotext.org

HTH,

SusanF

• Over 2000 Posts

I've found more medical information from message boards (like this one among a few others) then anywhere else. I think information from others that have been there is soooo helpful. They know what to ask, what to look for, what to do etc. I also agree with pubmed as a good reference too. I do find that when I google stuff, I look there for info first. :thumbup:

I've found more medical information from message boards (like this one among a few others) then anywhere else. I think information from others that have been there is soooo helpful. They know what to ask, what to look for, what to do etc. I also agree with pubmed as a good reference too. I do find that when I google stuff, I look there for info first. :thumbup:

I completely agree! But I always check it against the available research.

But you're right, there's so much experience and lay language information here.

SusanF

I found

endotext.org:

We offer the only complete, authoritative, constantly updated, down-loadable source on clinical endocrinology, without registration or cost.

Currently we receive 30-50,000 hits each day. Help us improve our website by clicking here and taking a brief survey.

ENDORSED BY THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS

Endotext.org is the web-based source of information on endocrine disease directed to physicians around the world caring for patients with these problems. It is comprehensive, authoritative, constantly up-dated, un-biased, and available without cost to physicians and trainees. All material may be freely downloaded for personal use. This site covers the broad area of Clinical Endocrinology, emphasizing clinical endocrine practice, including the most current information on the manifestations of endocrine disease, diagnosis and treatment. Endotext.org is the premier provider of well reviewed and organized clinical endocrine information on the Web. Endotext.org is solely responsible for all content. Our site is made available through the fantastic generosity of the authors and editors who have provided their articles as a service to the profession. We are supported in part by Educational Grants, and non-intrusive ads with hyperlinks to company sites providing product information. Please support our sponsors, who help make this site possible. We also welcome support in any amount from our readers (address above). For all questions on our site, advertising, and information, email . Copyright ? 2007 MDText.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Archived