I just won't quit!!!

Guest Nina

Guest SuziQ2

MaryO~~~~I told you I was going to do this and I just did it!!!!!!!!

:steamed:

In our last AARP Bulletin was an article about Dr. Pamela Peeke, who says Don?t Diet! Healthy living, reducing stress are more effective. ?Here we go?She is one of the very few physicians with a specialty in metabolism and nutrition. ?She spent three years as a senior research fellow at the NIH studying stress-fat relationship. ?Stress boosts appetite. She found that everyday stress leads to the overproduction of the stress hormone cortisol, which in turn boosts appetite, especially for carbohydrates and fat. ?Cortisol can be part of a vicious circle of eating and stressing out. ?Body fat gained from excessive carbohydrates and dietary fat tends to accumulate ?get this- under the abdominal wall where it causes elevated blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels and raises the risk of blood clotting?

This is the email that I just sent her. ?I had 600 characters to use. ?Good thing as I could have gone on a bit more about this.

I recently read an article about you in AARP Bulletin. ?You mentioned overproduction of stress hormone cortisol. ?I'm a Cushings survivor and am currently writing a book with about 400 others Cushies. ?Do you ever check your patients for Cushings when they come to see you about weight gain and their desire to lose? ?You also mentioned that stress leands to abnormal cravings, decreased metabolism, lack of energy, mood swings and impared immunity. ?So does Cushings.

Hope to see a response in your newsletter as I've just read that you do not individually answer questions. 400 of us want to know.

(Edited by SuziQ at 10:21 am on June 30, 2001)

You go Sue!  These kind of statements make me boiling mad.......I think there are  many undiagnosed cushies out there (not a rare disease, just rarely diagnosed!), and with this kind bull----  attitude they will never get help.

please count me as 1 of those 400!  

I feel much better now  :)

Guest Bernadette

Way to go Sue!

I didn't know you were writing a book.  What's the format?  If I am ever diagnosed, and you want a case study, you can use me!

Bernadette

Guest SuziQ2

I really didn't mean this to be negative. ?I simply wanted to know if she checks patients for Cushings as illness was not mentioned in the article. ?She did write a book "Fat After Forty" and she is on the board of the Cushings-Help. ?So she does know about Cushings. ?In fact, I guess she has studied it, so if that's the case, I'd have thought that she would have mentioned illness and/or Cushings in the article??

PS

If she reads her email, can you imagine what she might think?  400!!! Working together!!!

(Edited by SuziQ at 3:26 pm on June 30, 2001)

• Over 2000 Posts

Bernadette, we have a board for posts that can go into the book, or updates on how the book is coming. ?The one on the old board is Cushing's Book Info.

The place here on the new boards can be found by clicking here.

A book called fat after forty hey how about "cute after cushings?" what are you going to call your book Suzie Q?  you should ask the cushies for a cute name for your book.  Or maybe "crazy after cushings"  How about "pity about the pituitary"  Come on guys let's get your best shot for the book title for Suzie Q.  How about "don't waste your money going to weight watchers spend it on an endo instead"  Do you have a title Suzie Q?  Regards Dot

Guest Jean Ann

Suzi,

I think you have an excellent point!

Thank you for hooking me up with Linda, she has her first endo appointment tomorrow. I may try to meet her there.

Thank you for introducing us.

Thank you also for the phone call, it was so nice to speak with you. Your board is going to be invaluable in helping us find each other.

Take care,

-jean ann

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SuziQ2

Dr. Peeke has her new newsletter up and there are three responses from her to people who read the A.A.R.P. article, but she didn't respond to my question....she just preaches about losing weight and that the abdominal fat is from too much sugar, yada, yada, yada.....:grrr:

• Over 2000 Posts

EWWW...that makes me more mad!  Especially since she comes from having knowledge about the disease.  This is what perpetuates people getting misdiagnosed.  I could avoid sugar, high fats, all food and still would be putting on weight.  And, amazingly, it's because of CORTISOL - the tumor kind.

Hrmph.