Wrinkles. carbs and cortisol

Guest Dianne

Guest Carrie

Happy Monday everyone... ? ? :B:

Every morning I read my MSN news, and this morning I found this tidbit a little interesting .... ?thought I would share. ?It's actually an article on "wrinkles", but the first part of the interview got my attention. ?Of course it's something that we all know already ?....... ?right?

The opinions expressed herein are the guest's alone. If you have questions about your health, you should consult your personal physician. This event is meant for informational purposes only.

Moderator: Hello, Dr. Perricone. Welcome to WebMD Live. How are you today?

Perricone: Fine, thank you for inviting me today.

Moderator: What are the five worst things we do to our skin?

Perricone:

Sun exposure

A pro-inflammatory diet (That consists of sugar and starches)

Cigarette smoking

Lack of sleep

Excess alcohol consumption

Moderator: How does eating simple carbs affect your skin?

Perricone: Scientists have established that anything that causes a rise in our blood sugar results in inflammation on a cellular level, and I believe that inflammation is at the basis of virtually every disease process such as cancer, Alzheimer's disease, heart disease, and wrinkled skin. In addition, when our blood sugar goes up rapidly and continually, the sugar can actually attach to the collagen in our skin, making it stiff and inflexible. There is a scientific term for that: glycation. When your collagen is cross-linked by sugar, you end up with stiff and sagging skin. I believe that 50% of aging of the skin is the result of this glycation reaction. Beginning with lack of sleep, when we do not get enough sleep it results in elevation of a hormone called cortisol. Now cortisol, even though it is an essential hormone in the body, in excess quantities is called the "death hormone." It has a lot of negative side effects. It actually breaks down tissue. For example, it can break down muscle tissue, thin our skin, decalcify our bones, and elevate our blood sugar. Of course, when blood sugar is elevated we are in an inflammatory state. On the days we do not get enough sleep, we tend to crave carbohydrates, and that's because cortisol raises blood sugar and insulin levels, setting up this craving.

to read the full article:

http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/1700.51702

hope everyone is well ?..... ?have a great week.

~carrie

• Chief Cushie

Thanks, Carrie :(

• 2 months later...

I like Salmon, so I'm trying his diet.  I wonder if it will be as effective for Cushie's facial skin.  I'll let you know in 4 days! :(