Pituitary Disease / Disorder Affects 1 In 5 = 20% Of The U.S. Population announces The Pituitary Network Association

Pituitary Disease / Disorder Affects 1 In 5 = 20% Of The U.S. Population announces The Pituitary Network Association

An estimated 60 Million people in the United States have Pituitary Disease or Disorder and the majority of them are unaware of it.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) March 12, 2008 -- In the United States today, over 1 million people are living with HIV, another million people are living with Parkinson's Disease. And 1.3 million adults were diagnosed with cancer last year. An estimated 60 million people in the United States have Pituitary/Hormonal disease or disorder and the majority of them are unaware of it.

Diagnosing pituitary disease and disorders in the past has been difficult. Doctors are now beginning to recognize symptoms such as unexplained depression, mood swings, memory loss, eating disorders, sexual dysfunction, weight gain, excessive hair growth and weakness in limbs.

"1 in 5 individuals may have an abnormal growth on their pituitary gland, causing significant health complications. If left undiagnosed and untreated, this can impair normal hormone function resulting in a reduced lifespan," explains Dr. Shereen Ezzat, Professor of Medicine, University of Toronto and member of the Board of Directors of the Pituitary Network Association.

The pituitary is a pea-sized gland at the base of the brain that functions as the "master gland." It sends signals to the thyroid gland, adrenal glands, ovaries and testes, directing them to produce thyroid hormone, cortisol, estrogen, testosterone, and more. These hormones have dramatic effects on metabolism, blood pressure, sexuality, reproduction and other vital body functions. In addition, the pituitary gland produces growth hormone for normal development of height and prolactin for milk production.

The Pituitary Network Association (PNA) is an international non-profit organization founded in 1992 that serve patients with pituitary tumors and hormonal disorders. The network interfaces closely with physicians and health care providers who treat these patients. The PNA staff provides public awareness programs, seminars and assists the medical community in developing uniform standards for diagnosis, screening, surgery, radiation, and treatment. PNA is supported by a network of the world's finest Encrinologists, Pathologists, Scientists and Neurosurgeons. The interactive PNA website (www.pituitary.org) provides valuable, up-to-date information and links and has a readership of over 2 million people per month in over 130 countries.

Olympic Gold medalist skater and cancer survivor Scott Hamilton serves as Honorary Chairman of the Board of Governors for PNA. Scott is a Pituitary patient who was diagnosed with a tumor and has recovered from the non-cancerous pituitary tumor.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/3/prweb759554.htm

• Over 2000 Posts
Thanks Robin! 20% is HUGE!!!!! Every endo in the world needs to read this.

love,

melly in nv

....not to mention every GP needs this info. I mean honestly, they are the frontline of medicine and what they think makes a huge difference in people's health.

I told my family doc this statistic a month ago and he just shook his head and said, "why is no one telling the family medicine docs?" Good question...maybe the PNA needs to get on the agenda of some of these medical conventions.

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

They are. They are looking for any and all offers for help so if you are willing and/or able let them know. I believe it's Barbara who is heading up the education and awareness area.

PNA link to quoted content

"WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! If you have an interest in volunteering as a speaker, trainer, Booking Agent, etc., please contact us, as we need your help! Contact barbara@pituitary.org today!"

• Chief Cushie

Maybe with the PNA and Dr Ezzat reporting this the word will get out better.

Dr Vance was saying this as early as 2004... http://cushings.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1818

"Pituitary tumors are common. In autopsy studies of patients who did not have known pituitary disease, as many as 26% had a small tumor in the gland. Molecular biology studies have shown that a change in the DNA of pituitary cells can cause unregulated growth of a particular cell type resulting in a pituitary tumor, called an adenoma. No known environmental cause. An uncommon type, is Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type I, is inherited. In this situation, there is usually a family history of endocrine tumors, most commonly a parathyroid tumor, a pituitary tumor and less commonly, a tumor of the pancreas. This occurs in 4% of patients with pituitary tumors."

Dr Ezzat himself said this in 2003... http://cushings.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=499

"Pituitary disorders are not so rare, and there is potential for wide impact," said Dr. Shereen Ezzat, head of the Endocrine Oncology Site Group at Princess Margaret Hospital, and director of the Freeman Centre for Endocrine Oncology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto.

Dr. Ezzat is one of the authors of a metaanalysis aimed at defining the prevalence of pituitary tumors. Data from seven autopsy studies and five radiographic studies originally done from 1981 to 1999 were reviewed. Each study included from several hundred to several thousand subjects.

In the autopsy studies, the prevalence of pituitary lesions was 14.4%, and in the radiographic (CT and MRI) studies the rate was 22.5%. After excluding all patients who presented with symptoms directly suggestive of pituitary disorders and adjusting for differences in sample sizes between the different studies, the overall prevalence of pituitary tumors was 16.7%.

• Over 2000 Posts
That is a large amount - but is it possible that the US is more affected because of the things we put in our foods, water and environment? There are so many chemicals and hormones dumped into just about everything these days. The US is also pretty much a land of convenience foods....I wonder if this figure would be as high in other countries?

AMEN Sister . . . . . I truly believe that a lot of things we eat were produced using steroids for faster production and you got it "more money".

Great article . . . . . thanks Robin!!

Amy

• Over 2000 Posts

Endos need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Yes, this is huge and wonderful if endos are changing their thinking.

I saw Ezzat in January and all he could say was I should have another CRH/DEX test. I have found out my CRH/DEX was not normal, as I was told originally by a different endo. He basis far too much on the CRH/DEX test, I think. If 20% of the population has some sort of problem with their pit. How many of these tests for Cushing's would fail the majority of the population?

Kate G

• Over 2000 Posts
If 20% of the population has some sort of problem with their pit. How many of these tests for Cushing's would fail the majority of the population?

Kate G

Amen sister!!!! I think endocrinology is allot more art than science at times. It's like they're trying to make the diagnostic process into a recipe - a 1 size fits all type of recipe.

Archived