Apathy and Pituitary Disease: It Has Nothing to Do With Depression

Just came a cross this fascinating article. I've been on anti-depressants for a while now, and they kinda/sorta help, but I always felt that they weren't quite the right medication for what I was feeling. When I read this article, the clouds cleared and I had one of those 'Ah-HAH' moments. This makes so much sense!

Here's the abstract:

Increasingly, patients with pituitary disease are evaluatedand treated at cancer centers. In many ways, these patientsresemble patients with other malignant brain tumors. Althoughthe majority of pituitary adenomas are benign, the physical,emotional, and cognitive changes that these patients experienceon their well-being is malignant. Pituitary disease causes avariety of physical illnesses resulting from the alterationsin the hypothalamic-pituitary-end organ axis. In addition, patientswith pituitary diseases may experience many emotional problems,including depression, anxiety, behavioral disturbances, andpersonality changes, above and beyond the many reactions thesepatients may have to the myriad of adjustments that they mustmake in their lives. There is a growing understanding that pituitarypatients may experience these emotional problems as a resultof long-term effects that the pituitary tumor itself, treatment,and/or hormonal changes have on the hypothalamic-pituitary-endorgan axis. The authors present a series of cases, in whichpatients with pituitary disease were diagnosed and treated fordepression and showed little response to the treatment for depression.When the diagnosis of apathy syndrome was considered and treatmentimplemented, the patients? condition improved. A reviewof the literature on apathy, hypothalamic-pituitary-end organaxis dysfunction, and treatment for apathy syndrome is included.

You can read the full article here:

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/17/2/159

Enjoy!

Brenda

• Over 2000 Posts

Brenda,

Thank you so much. I am certain this is what I'm experiencing. I've read this before, but had forgotten it.

We don't see enough of you, so it's great to see your smiling advatar!!!

Thanks to all who commented. Happy to share!

Brenda

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Thanks so much, Brenda.

Though acquiring information like this does not directly relieve our symptoms, this kind of validation can help us preserve our sanity by way of spiritual transcendence.

In other words, we know our bodies are at fault for this - let us protect our spirits from the damage it can cause by removing them from our physical being.

I know this sounds kooky, but this is what I am working on. There is no doubt that my physical being is progressively suffering, so I am focusing on strengthening and preserving my spirit. I know I have changed dramatically, but I still have to live and love myself.

And, I would argue that is why all of us are here on this board...

Love always,

Katie

• Over 2000 Posts

Thanks so much for putting this out there Brenda, it helps validate all that I have been through and gives me something to show the doubters who love to judge.

Hugs! Lisa

• Over 2000 Posts

I gave a copy of this article last week to my GP and see him this Fri to discuss this. The 2 anti-depressants I'm on only work marginally and I am in the deepest state of apathy I've ever experienced. He was actually excited to see it......everytime I see him he still keep muddling...."1 in 5 people have a pit tumor....how can this be and no one is telling the family docs"?!?!?!?

I'll let you know if I get any results!

Gina - let me know how this goes. Do you think you might try a stimulant?

I also sent this article to my psychologist. She said it was so ironic I sent it, because after I left our last meeting, she wondered if I would do well on Ritalin.

Apathy, ugh. Well, at least we live for the moment...

Love,

Katie

• Over 2000 Posts

I feel like making copies and handing them out to Dr.s, randomly as I travel this country looking for answers.

I will start with my Awesome GP and my New Newer Endo (The one who sent me to Mayo).

I looked up Apathy for those who are to apathetic to look it up. lol

Apathy is a state of indifference ? where an individual has an absence of interest or concern to certain aspects of emotional, social, or physical life.

Apathy can be object-specific ? toward a person, activity or environment. It is a common reaction to stress where it manifests as "learned helplessness" and is commonly associated with depression.

Learned Helplessness--Yuck!

I know I am apathetic when I am not coming to the boards or sending cards. That is when I know I have hit the wall.

Lisa

Thanks Brenda!! I was taking Lexapro, they changed it to Cymbalta and it's just like the article says...I'm not depressed. I just don't have any energy or motivation. I am going to show this to my therapist, my neurologist and my PCP. Hopefully, one of them will agree. Leslie

Thanks everyone! I'm just so thrilled that this article has the potential to help several of you. (I'll be taking it to my doctor as well). :thumbup:

In fact, by sharing this I actually proved myself wrong. :juggle:

After I read it, I thought: 'Hey, I should share this with my Cushie pals!'. This thought was immediately followed by: 'But then again, they've probably read something like this a hundred times. The folks who've been at this longer than me will just be bored.' :wave: But I ultimately decided that if the article could help even ONE person, then I should just go ahead and post it.

**Note to myself and others: Don't assume that everyone has already seen an article, video, TV show, etc. Share, share, share! The more we educate ourselves, the better equipped we will be to educate others.

:gathering:

Brenda

Thank you so much for sharing the article & information, Brenda. It has really helped me. I'm going to print it out and take it with me to my follow-up appointment next week. I've told my general physician for years that I am not depressed (and keep trying to get off of Effexor XR which does nothing for me, but I am hooked on it.). I've taken lots of things for 'depression' before and nothing seems to help (eg; I have tried Effexor XR, Effexor IR, Lexapro, Wellbutrin). Now I have some hope in this department, thank you!!

I'm hoping for a positive response. :juggle:

Lisa - I am surprised Wellbutrin didn't help you. Maybe the dose was too low? It actually works more like a stimulant than SSRIs. My mom says it makes her much less apathetic. I am sure you already know this, but get off the Effexor sloooooowly. I wonder if there is something you could take while weeing to make it easier.

Brenda - it definitely looks like you have already succeeded at helping us. Thanks again!

Gina - I can't wait to hear how you respond to the Ritalin. :hug:

Best,

Katie

As soon as I was diagnosed with Cushing's syndrome, got on this forum and read all the symptoms, it made PERFECT SENSE to me why 13+ years of every anti-depressant in the medical industry didn't help me with my anxiety attacks (seizures) and depression. It was not a 'seritonin issue' but an adrenal issue! In all those years and my other symptoms, nobody thought to check for Cushing's, and chalked it up to my long, bad luck streak causing my anxiety, depression, and ADD.

ALL of them put weight on me too - no less than 30lbs - sometimes more... (and I'm athletic and a health-food fanatic, btw).

Now that I have had surgery, in December, and still in recovery, I'm very discouraged because my other gland is still not working. I still have most of my full Cushing's symptoms, and have not lost even one ounce since before my surgery despite being down to only 5/5mgs of Cortef daily.

I was considering asking about trying an ADD medicine like Adderall to help with my ADD and maybe even lose some weight, but I have been reading mixed reviews on this. Some say Adderall will actually make Cushing's victims GAIN weight! YIKES! If I gain anymore, I'll die - no doubt. I'm already scared spit-less because I'm 65lbs overweight, just turned 40, and my family history is riddled with diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. Almost nobody in my mother's side of the family lives past 60 - and typically spends the last 20-30 years in very poor health... I don't wanna join their club... But if I can't get this weight off soon, I'm scared I'll become another Whitlock 'statistic' - all because of this damn Cushing's!!!

Since anti-depressants make me gain, would ADD meds? I've never tried them.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much - I've been trying to figure out what was going on for months and thought it was some kind of weird depression. Apathy's much, much closer. Thanks much! Kelly

Archived