Depression linked to Vitamin D Deficiency

Depression, vitamin D deficiency linked

Sun, 11 May 2008 20:20:00

Scientists say vitamin D deficiency is linked to a higher risk of developing depression and other psychiatric illnesses in the elderly.

According to a study published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, seniors with low vitamin D levels accompanied with high levels of the parathyroid hormone are at a greater risk of depression.

Findings showed 14 percent lower blood vitamin D levels in depressed individuals compared to their normal peers.

The study revealed that compared to healthy individuals, thyroid levels were five and 33 percent higher in those suffering from minor and major depression, respectively.

Dutch scientists concluded that depression can aggravate vitamin D deficiency due to less sun exposure, different clothing habits and decreased vitamin intake.

They added that depression could also result from vitamin D deficiency as low vitamin D levels influence the mood by affecting several neurological and hormonal pathways.

PKH/HGH

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=55195...ctionid=3510210

Maybe low vitamin d is responsible for "prozac nation". Just kidding. Kind of. PS---Tanning salons are trying to market "tanning beds" as an answer to vitamin d. deficiency---if they get ahold of this study---they may change their tactics and tell us that tanning is a cure for depression!

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Oh yeah! I love my Vitamin D!!! After I started taking it, I could tell a marked difference not only in my physical but also my mental well being!!

• Member of the 1000 Post Club
Maybe low vitamin d is responsible for "prozac nation". Just kidding. Kind of. PS---Tanning salons are trying to market "tanning beds" as an answer to vitamin d. deficiency---if they get ahold of this study---they may change their tactics and tell us that tanning is a cure for depression!

Y'all now I will testify to the miraculous benefits of vitamin D3. Shelley I have seen them advertise for it helping seasonal affective disorder which, IMO, is a vitamin D3 deficiency.

Archived