It's not just a Cushing's thing

• Chief Cushie

I just took a poll at http://living.health.com/2008/06/16/poll-h...e-treating-you/

Here are the poll results:

Has a doctor ever made a mistake with your care (forgetting to give important test results, misdiagnosing you, etc.)?

Yes 85%

No 15%

Did you switch doctors?

Yes 59%

No 29%

A doctor has never made a mistake with my care 12%

Has a doctor ever been dismissive of your symptoms?

Yes 83%

No 17%

Has a doctor ever misdiagnosed you?

Yes 76%

No 24%

Do you ever leave your appointment feeling like you did not have time to ask a crucial question?

Yes 69%

No 31%

Has a doctor ever given a diagnosis before examining you (for example, "It's just a virus, it's going around here.")?

Yes 56%

No 44%

How much time on average does your doctor spend with you in the examination room?

5 minutes or so 34%

More than 10 minutes 31%

Closer to 10 minutes 29%

Maybe 2 minutes 6%

Has your doctor ever failed to call you with test results?

Yes 59%

No 41%

Has your doctor ever prescribed a medicine even though it was listed in your chart as one you are allergic to?

No 78%

Yes 22%

Has your doctor's office ever failed to discuss an important health update, such as a controversy surrounding a drug you are taking?

No 57%

Yes 43%

Have you ever been given the wrong medicine or dosage at the pharmacy because the pharmacist couldn't read the prescription?

No 83%

Yes 17%

Have your test results ever been mixed up with another person's results?

No 87%

Yes 13%

Do you get a card from your doctors reminding you about your regular check-ups, such as annual physicals and Pap smears?

No 58%

Yes 42%

Have you ever used an urgent care facility?

Yes 66%

No 34%

Did you tell your doctor?

Yes 49%

I've never used an urgent care facility 31%

No 20%

Total Votes: 432

Just as I expected: We're all DOOMED!!!

Seriously---there are some major problems with a system if your error, efficiency, ratings are this low----

and the mistakes, oversights, etc., are this high.

MaryO---I think you have done something incredible---created a patient advocacy/learning "center".

You've done so much to empower folks who have been told false and misleading information regarding their health.

I'm sure some doctors don't like to be "told" stuff---but that's their problem.

Our job is to not be pushed around.

I think the system needs a major overhaul---you've done your part---now it's up to the medical profession to recognize where they're falling down on the job.

• Chief Cushie
MaryO---I think you have done something incredible---created a patient advocacy/learning "center".

You've done so much to empower folks who have been told false and misleading information regarding their health.

I'm sure some doctors don't like to be "told" stuff---but that's their problem.

Our job is to not be pushed around.

I think the system needs a major overhaul---you've done your part---now it's up to the medical profession to recognize where they're falling down on the job.

That's so nice - thank you so much! You can't know how much reading this lifted my spirits :(

Thanks!

Archived