Interview with Kate (Fairley)

• Chief Cushie

Kate (Fairley).

photo-5770.jpg

Kate (Fairley) has had symptoms since 1991. She has had two pituitary surgeries and another recurrence. She is not yet cured and her current diagnoses are Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, panhypopituiarism and a CSF leak. Kate writes in her message board signature:

• 1991 - Symptoms began
  • Oct. 4, 2006 - Testing begins with Dr. F
  • Dec. 24, 2006 - Dx of Episodic Cushing's Disease
  • Jan. 5, 2007 - 1st pit surgery with Dr. J in P'burgh
  • April 3, 2007 - Confirmation of path-proven ACTH-secreting adenoma
  • June 18-22, 2007 - Testing with Dr. L for recurrence at Swedish in Seattle
  • July 13, 2007 - Dx of Recurrence of Episodic Cushing's Disease
  • July 26, 2007 - Dr. McC @ MD Anderson confirms existence of recurrent tumor on right side
  • July 27, 2007 - 2nd pit surgery with Dr. J in P'burgh; removal of tumor from right side of pit
  • Oct. 10, 2007 - CSF leak repair surgery
  • March 2008 - recurrence suspected but cannot test due to cortisol-lowering narcotics for suspected osteonecrosis of left hip.
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, panhypopituiarism, CSF leak, and, for now....
  • No cure for me. :)

Pituitary Cushings: Kate and Dr. Ted F. on National Geographic TV were featured on the National Geographic channel. The show, called the Science of Obesity, has a segment on Cushing's syndrome.

Today, 127 million adult Americans are considered overweight, but few reach the extreme proportions of the exceptionally obese. What are the physical stresses of weighing more than 500 pounds and what steps can reverse it? NGC provides an understanding of what happens inside the bodies of these massive people & why a person can pack on hundreds more pounds than those with typical weight challenges. The show explores the genetics behind weight gain & medical advances available to help prevent it.

I hope that all of you can watch this. Please consider contacting your local media about doing your story! There is still much work to do to increase Cushing's awareness.

Discuss this TV show.

More about Dr Ted F.

See the video here

Read Kate's articles:

Attend Kate's Interview on July 17, 2008

• Over 2000 Posts

Hi Mary,

On what Channel and time is Kate's interview. I am on Pacific time and the stations are different out here.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Valerie

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Hi Mary,

I would just like to add that I am gearing up for a BLA and radiation right after that as my tumor has been confirmed in the cavernous sinus now. I am looking forward to the interview, and hope that it will be helpful to everyone.

Hugs,

Kate

Kate sweetie,

I look forward to listening to your interview! Any dates on your upcoming surgeries & radiation?

Ginormous hugs kiddo,

Mar

• Over 2000 Posts

Kate,

I am so sorry about another surgery. I haven't been on the boards in so long, my own problems never seem to end. I will be sending good thoughts your way.

Valerie

• Chief Cushie

Great job, Kate! Thanks :)

Archived