61 pound baby has doctors stumped

mertie

http://www.kare11.com/news/national/nation...66&catid=18

Colombian doctors are trying to determine why an 11-month old baby already weighs 61-pounds-12-ounces.

The baby lives in Barranquilla, Colombia.

That's the the average weight of an 8-year-old.

The boy's mother said he started growing after he was two months old.

Preliminary tests show that the baby has an endocrine system problem, doctors say that he will undergo additional testing to pin-point the exact problem.

The normal weight for an 11-month-old boy is between 13 to 15 pounds.

• Over 2000 Posts

Poor thing, starting out with a diseased endocrine system.

Lisa

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Saw him on the news this morning. First thought endocrine.

I saw the clip on the news. The mom is slender and lovely. The doctors know it is something endocrine. It hit me that if the mother were heavy and poor, they would probably be calling it child abuse and trying to remove him from the home.

Call me cynical. But how many similar cases have we seen?

• Over 2000 Posts
I saw the clip on the news. The mom is slender and lovely. The doctors know it is something endocrine. It hit me that if the mother were heavy and poor, they would probably be calling it child abuse and trying to remove him from the home.

Call me cynical. But how many similar cases have we seen?

Sad, but how true Mary! It's a crying shame.

I hope they find out what is going on with this beautiful little boy!

• Over 2000 Posts

I just saw a video clip of this, this morning. My heart broke!!! The mother said he also has the bones of an 8 year old, but no one can tell her why? How is it WE can tell her why?!?!?!

I'm sure the poor child has a pit tumor making too much growth hormone and probably ACTH!!!

Poor Baby, I sure hope their DR's get on top of this real soon...

I was just watching on Discovery the other day a boy in England or Australia had something wrong and was gaining weight like crazy...but I fell asleep and missed the end, hey I missed most of the beginning too...

Poor Baby, I sure hope their DR's get on top of this real soon...

I was just watching on Discovery the other day a boy in England or Australia had something wrong and was gaining weight like crazy...but I fell asleep and missed the end, hey I missed most of the beginning too...

Australia. I saw that too. Why is it that all these doctors aren't jumping on some kind of international doctor forum when they get stumped with something like this. We see right away about 10 things that could be wrong. MOMO, acromegaly, Cushings,...not to mention they have these BIG MEDICAL BOOKS they all had to read in order to get their degrees. Crack one open and spend a weekend reading and taking some notes and set a game plan to figure it out. I know I would as a physician.

Mary, I'm so glad you brought this to our attention! I blogged about it so maybe some docs will notice. I feel for this guy and I just don't think hypothyroidism is the total answer to his problems.

XOOX

Robin

• Over 2000 Posts

This made me so mad, this local doc they interviewed is obviously clueless!!!

I contacted the reported and asked if she'd help me get this baby to a doc that could help. There's a fabulous neuo-endo in Brazil that regularly takes a leadership role in Endo conferences and is on Dr F's recommended doc list.

I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

Totally edited my first post.

Discovery Health or other network had show about ARchie---a large British baby---who's mother found answers from a doctor in Brazil. Archie was dx'd with MOMO syndrome.

And I've found an interesting site that may be helpful to some:

http://www.makingcontact.org/index.php?ci=1894

Hi Im back....

Poor kid, I hope it is something they can fix.

My nephew is 3 years old and 100lbs. That is not good.

The latest on me. You all have to see this...read both posts on lost and found

http://cushings.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=35026

Archived