Corticosteroid-Induced Myopathy

sowens

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

I found this interesting. I found this after reading a letter from my doctor saying I had significant proximal muscle myopathy (fancy words for my muscles hurt =p )

click HERE to read the entire article

Author: Steve S Lim, MD, Consulting Staff, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, St Clare's Hospital of Dover

Steven S Lim is a member of the following medical societies: American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

Coauthor(s): Patrick M Foye, MD, FAAPMR, FAAEM, Associate Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Co-Director of Musculoskeletal Fellowship, Co-Director of Back Pain Clinic, Director of Coccyx Pain (Tailbone Pain, Coccydynia) Service, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School

Editors: Patrick J Potter, MD, FRCP©, Director of Spinal Cord Injury Program, Associate Professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Parkwood Hospital, Lawson Health Research Institute; Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD, Senior Pharmacy Editor, eMedicine; Kat Kolaski, MD, Assistant Professor, Departments of Orthopedic Surgery and Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine; Kelly L Allen, MD, Consulting Staff, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Lourdes Regional Rehabilitation Center, Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center; Denise I Campagnolo, MD, MS, Director of Multiple Sclerosis Clinical Research and Staff Physiatrist, Barrow Neurology Clinics, St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center; Investigator for Barrow Neurology Clinics; Director, NARCOMS Project for Consortium of MS Centers, Phoenix

Author and Editor Disclosure

Synonyms and related keywords: steroid myopathy, acute steroid myopathy, chronic steroid myopathy, critical illness myopathy, excess endogenous corticosteroid production, adrenal tumors, excess exogenous corticosteroid production, asthma, steroid treatment for asthma, steroid treatment for polymyositis, steroid treatment for connective tissue disorders, steroid treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, fluorinated steroids, nonfluorinated steroids, prolonged administration of prednisone

Background

Steroid myopathy is usually an insidious disease process, which causes weakness mainly to the proximal muscles of the upper and lower limbs and neck flexors. Cushing originally described it in 1932. Muller and Kugelberg first studied it systemically in 1959. An excess of either endogenous or exogenous corticosteroids is believed to cause the condition. Excess endogenous corticosteroid production can arise from adrenal tumors. Excess exogenous corticosteroid production can result from steroid treatment for asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and inflammatory processes, such as polymyositis, connective tissue disorders, and rheumatoid arthritis.

click HERE to read more

I have a diagnosis of steroid myopathy caused from the long-term, undiagnosed Cushings. It shows up in my lung function tests ---- it looks like I have neruo-muscular disease, however, the bloodwork proves that I don't. My breathing is significantly impaired, however, I am in rehab building my my muscle strength. Most days, it feels like I have overworked the muscles in my body - UGH - it hurts!

Dr. F. prescribed high doses of glutamine daily to block the steroid myopathy.

Archived