Hats wanted for Brain Tumor Action Week May 2-8

I'm forwarding this from http://www.abta.org/enews.htm ?The American Brain Tumor Association Enews Web Page

"Please forward so we can get some more funding for Brain Tumor Research! ?And send in your hats!

Hats Wanted for Brain Tumor Action Week, May 2-8th 2004

Be sure your family's fight against brain tumor is represented in Washington this year at the National Brain Tumor Victim's Memorial. A group of dedicated volunteers are collecting hats to serve as a visual reminder of each owner's struggle with this disease. The hats collected will be displayed on the Capitol lawn in Washington, DC during Action Week activities. Inside the hat, please write your name, age, type of brain tumor, your date of diagnosis, and the date of death if your loved one has passed. Even if you go to the store and buy a hat, send it with your information or the information about your loved one. Do not send your favorite hat, or a hat that you expect to get back as they will be stored from year to year. If you attend a brain tumor support group, or know of other brain tumor patients at your hospitals, please ask for their hats too.

Send an e-mail to kmcalvanah@yahoo.com or shepardspi@aol.com for mailing directions or with questions."

• Over 2000 Posts

I'm going to dig up my CUSH hat and send it along - let's all do it and put pituitary Cushing's on it!  Maybe more people will realize that even if our tumor is not technicall IN the brain it's awfully darn near!

What is the brain, where does my brain begin and end...:)

Well, the ABTA includes Pituitary tumors in their list of brain tumors: Ependymoma,Glioblastoma Multiforme and Anaplastic Astrocytoma,Low Grade Astrocytomas, Medulloblastoma, Meningioma, Metastatic Brain Tumors, Oligodendroglioma and Oligoastrocytoma, and, yes, PITUITARY TUMORS.

http://www.abta.org/focusingontumors.php

If the ABTA includes it, that's good enough for me! Though, Shauna, like you I've had the impression that "technically" the pituitary is not in the brain. I wonder what others have been told. Perhaps it's a "grey matter" (pardon the pun)

In any case, it seems like a great organization doing important work in raising awareness.

• Chief Cushie
If the ABTA includes it, that's good enough for me! Though, Shauna, like you I've had the impression that "technically" the pituitary is not in the brain. I wonder what others have been told. Perhaps it's a "grey matter" (pardon the pun)

There seems to be a lot of differing opinion on this.  At the University of Virginia, Dr. Vance (endo) says it's NOT the brain, while Dr. Laws, the surgeon, says it is.

Personally, if I'm telling someone about my surgery, it's easier to say brain because everyone knows where that is.  If I say pituitary, I often get a blank stare.

Whatever the "correct" terminology is, this sounds like a great cause - good idea on the CUSH Hat, too, Shauna :)

Guest MyBattle

There are a lot of people out there in the non-Cushy who need to wake up and smell the coffee.

The pituitary IS part of the brain.  What kind of doctor do we go to when we need to have our tumors taken out?  A foot surgeon? I don't think so!