Testing & "Normals" are often Misleading

Guest Sandy

Guest Handiman

Testing & "Normals" are often Misleading

The truly insidious nature of the "Why Johnny Can't Read" syndrome and its connection to hypothyroidism is the problem with diagnosis here too. As with mineral nutrition, traditional blood tests often miss treatable cases. Our so called "normals" can vary 300%, and still be called "normal". And, many experts believe that we should have raised our "normal" range many years ago. This would put many patients testing in the low normal range into a truly "low" range, and therefore, warrant treatment. Autopsy studies define the "normal" adult thyroid gland to range from 9 grams to 50 grams. I can't help but wonder how the quality of life differed for the 9 gram individual as compared to the 50 gram individual, or even a more "normal" 30 gram individual.

Read more about this in the "Why Johnny Can't Read" syndrome article here:

http://www.vitaroyal.com/JohnnyRead.html

Make

sure you pay attention to the last paragraph in this article!!!!!

Finally, we need a new generation of doctors who treat the individual patient in front of them more wholistically instead of just addressing their symtom. Some brave souls are already out there doing this, but not nearly enough. This, in effect, could change the entire personality of our planet!

I just cannot believe this!!:wow:

(Edited by Handiman at 2:41 pm on June 26, 2001)

Guest Sandy

HI Handi

WOW  I read the article you sent and agree with you it is mind boggling!!  I feel at the moment what with toxins, endocrine systems and the ecosystem, that it is all too confusing for me to understand, yet there is a common link between all three...I also enjoyed your thyroid theory and the axis theory!!!

Thanks Sandy

one of the wisest things i ever heard out of the mouth of a doctor was 'ranges are meant as suggestions, not fixed in concrete. if the patient has the symptoms, the patient has the problem irregardless of the tests'. elizabeth lee vliet, md, in 'screaming to be heard'.

now, you might well ask yourself how a doctor could possibly make such a statement when most of us end up seeing some very egotistical folks who are only interested in playing gd, not helping.... the fact is, that doc vliet has her own set of hormone problems and she named the book based on her reactions to them as well as her patients' reactions to hormonal imbalance....