Anti-Bacterial Soap

Guest SuziQ2

I just read an article on this soap.  Richard Novick, M.D., a professor of microbiology and medicine at New York University School of Medicine, says he "is dead set against using these soaps on anything other than (his) hands. They rid the body of good bacteria that we need."  Novick and other experts caution that if we sterilize ourselves too much, we'll have trouble resisting tough germs that come our way.  

I found this interesting and thought others might too.

• Over 2000 Posts
Quote: from SuziQ on 7:35 am on Oct. 8, 2001

I just read an article on this soap. ?Richard Novick, M.D., a professor of microbiology and medicine at New York University School of Medicine, says he "is dead set against using these soaps on anything other than (his) hands. They rid the body of good bacteria that we need." ?Novick and other experts caution that if we sterilize ourselves too much, we'll have trouble resisting tough germs that come our way. ?

I found this interesting and thought others might too.

Thanks, Sue!  I always wondered about that - kind of like that old saying "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".  

Some bacteria is good and helps us.  We don't want to get rid of that, too and make ourselves susceptible to other, possibly worse, things.

Guest SuziQ2

It's amazing some of the products on the market that don't tell you the complete story.  What might be good for one thing, such as this soap is great for the hands, isn't always so good for other things about us. I know we're suppose to be careful about what we write and quote, but as long as it's something that's publicly written it's suppose to be okay so that's why I posted it.  Otherwise we have to state it's our opinion or something similiar if not.

I checked and we had 10 bars of antibacteria bath soap.  So I moved them and set them aside for handwashing.  Well, why not?  Who knows, right?