Shark Cartilage

Has anyone heard of any research being done on this? Apparently, the Fisheries Department in Canada is conducting research on this as a possible treatment in Cancer patients to help reduce tumors or the spreading of these... Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks MC

• Over 2000 Posts

This used to be a popular thing for shady internet companies to sell on the internet.  They targeted cancer patients and it made me very angry.  I was reading cancer boards at the time and so many people were desperate, without hope and they would turn to shark cartilage as something that was going to save them...but it wouldn't.  It was a hoax.

Unless something radical has happened in the last couple years, here's info from the BBC, a vernerable news source...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/ne...3000/703082.stm

Thursday, 6 April, 2000, 01:52 GMT 02:52 UK

Shark cancer claims rubbished

Shark cartilage is not fully proven as a cancer treatment

Products made from shark cartilage should not be marketed as a "cancer cure", US experts say.  The market for shark cartilage has been fostered by the myth that sharks do not suffer from cancer, the American Association for Cancer Research conference was told.

In fact, according to scientists, sharks and related fish can develop a wide variety of benign and cancerous tumours.

They can even get cancers in the very cartilage being marketed as a cancer cure.

The research was carried out at the Johns Hopkins University and George Washington Univeristy in the US.

By looking at a register of tumours in animals, they found 40 cases of tumours in sharks and related animals like skates and rays.

Professor Gary Ostrander, Hopkins professor of biology and comparative medicine, said: "People are out there slaughtering sharks and taking shark cartilage pills based on very faulty data and no preventative studies to show that it works.

"That's not only giving desperate patients false hope based on misinterpreted data, it's also taking a top level predator out of an ecosystem, which could cause major disruptions."

Growing blood vessels

Advocates of shark cartilage say that it can hold back angiogenesis - which is a tumour's ability to help its growth by encouraging new blood vessels to form.

Cartilage naturally has few blood vessels, so scientists looking for natural chemicals in tissue which might hamper angiogenesis looked here.

And there is some evidence that shark cartilage can indeed slow down tumour growth.

However, Professor Ostrander said: "Chicken cartilage, human cartilage and all other kinds of tissue have anti-angiogenic factors in them.

"Yes, there may be some others in shark, but to suggest they will be a cure-all for cancer based on the available data is bogus."

The myth that sharks are not susceptible to cancer probably developed, he said, from the likelihood that sharks with tumours were far less likely to be caught.

Guest cher237

Hi Everyone, While  I was going through Cushings Syndrome and diagnosed with Cancer I was feeling very desperate and willing to try what others told me worked for them. I thought about Shark's cartilege but it is very expensive and kinda creepy thinking about putting it into my body. I did work on a really good diet, lots of vegetables and extra vitamin e, c, selenium, garlic-lots of healing garlic, and multivitamin. It was to me high potency  Awareness corporation makes this.  1-800-AWARENESS                 It is a liquid vitamin and has cancer fighting vitamins I think. I got this book called -FIGHTING CANCER WITH NUTRITION. In this book it stated sugar is a cancer feeder. I have tried to eat better, take care of myself and lay off caffeine, too many sweets, and liquor. I am proud to say it has been 17 mths. since my lung surgery and 13 mths. since radiation and I am cancer free.          cheryl (ectopic cushie)

That is wonderful news. Are you facing anymore surgery?

I agree with MaryO on the shark cartilage.

baaa.gif

I know that we will try a lot of other methods to get healthier but trying something that has not clinical backup is chancy at best.

Just like the Dr Atkins diet...his is the only type of diet that has no clinical studies done and /or approved. The diet apparently works but cannot be sustained for a long period of time. It has alot of fat consumption.

Thanks everyone for your info. My mom is really going to be disappointed to hear and read this... She has her heart set on trying to "help" me with my illness... Don't get me wrong, I do love and appreciate my mom, but sometimes I would just want her to listen to me and not try to "cure" me!!! MC :)

• Over 2000 Posts

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was such an easy cure?  We wouldn't need these boards anymore!

roll.gifroll.gifroll.gif

Nooooo...we would still need the boards if only to keep tabs on each other.

I am so glad I found this and want to thank you for being supportive to each other.

Some of you are just OUTSTANDING and I know that you know who you are..... :) ?:P ?:P ?:P ?:P

I think is was SuzyQ that said Baby Steps (sorry if I have the wrong author).

Take care and let's "mother" ourselves...teeheeteehee

Guest cher237

Pattie, I had another surgery, lypoma removed from my right rib, like a fatty tumor I guess, it was benign. If the doctors had it their way I would have a hysterectomy, lift my bladder, strip my varicose veins and fix my umbilical hernia all at once.  I am not willing to face anymore surgeries at this time , trying to get back some strength and not push my luck........ In the near future I will have another neuroscan or octreoscan I believe and the dr. ordered a bone density test.    cher  xo alien.gif