Un-diagnosed and wanting opinions.

Guest Nets_Fantastico

Question

Guest Nets_Fantastico

I have always been overweight, sickly and with muscle and joint problems since I was about 6, but it all came on relatively quickly at the time, and down to having a gp who for many years blamed my weight for every illness I had from childhood to adulthood I became wary of doctors. I did however change my doctor a few years ago and they have tested me for thyroid problems with negative results apart from none alcoholic liver disease which thankfully is mild. I heard about Cushing's the other day and was shocked at how many symptoms I seem to have, especially the easy bruising/skin problems and depression/anxiety which I have suffered from ever since I can remember, except I have weight all over but my stomach is relatively larger than the rest. Anyway I am going to ask my doctor about tests for Cushing's but I thought I'd ask here if appearance wise I look like I may have the disease?

By the way I absolutely Hate this first picture but it is the only full bodied side on one I have.

39101_416389662706_2112860_n.jpg

72561_484677797558_5954599_n.jpg

4 answers to this question

Hi!

I am not a doctor but when I saw your photos I immeditely thought you are hypothyroid or that you do not eat correctly...I mean  it does not seem you have problem with cortisol from your appearence(look at your arms... they are not skinny).

Anyway it is impossible to diagnose something only looking at you photos so you can test your level of cortisol with 24 H urinalysis!! 

Do you have stretch marks on your stomach or anywhere else on your body?  That was what made me ask questions.  I would say to my wife, look that guy is bigger than I am but he doesn't have stretch marks.  Those were also the indicators that made the doctors and nurses at the hospital take notice.  They were all preaching to me about my diet and exercise and I was protesting that I was already doing all of that.  Then I raise my shirt and said what are these?  That is when the conversation changed into lets run some tests.  Good luck

I did not have skinny arms, nor especially skinny legs, and I also did not have the striae marks---some people with Cushing's don't even gain a lot of weight. I think you have to find a good, compassionate doctor that is willing to do everything. I actually started to get a little better when seeing an acupuncturist--they can do cortisol points. But shortly after that, my tumor was discovered (by accident) and that was how I was finally dx'd. I really was ready to try anything and everything. I think you have to keep on, change docs, whatever....it is a frustrating journey.