Adult growth hormone deficiency – benefits, side effects, and risks of growth hormone replacement

• Chief Cushie

Frontiers in Endocrinology, 04/24/2013  

Reed ML et al. – Deficiency of growth hormone (GH) in adults results in a syndrome characterized by decreased muscle mass and exercise capacity, increased visceral fat, impaired quality of life, unfavorable alterations in lipid profile and markers of cardiovascular risk, decrease in bone mass and integrity and increased mortality. 

The potential of GH to act as a mitogen has resulted in concern over the possibility of increased de novo tumors or recurrence of pre–existing malignancies in individuals treated with GH. 

Though studies of adults who received GHRT in childhood have produced conflicting reports in this regard, long term surveillance of adult GHRT has not demonstrated increased cancer risk or mortality.

Read more: http://www.mdlinx.com/endocrinology/news-article.cfm/4588746/growth-hormone-adult-growth-hormone-deficiency#ixzz2RODfAgDb

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

Thanks for sharing, Mary. I'm trying to get access to the full article, can't seem to figure it out. Maybe it isn't in PubMed yet? Anyhow, thanks for sharing all the same.

• 1 month later...

So, I just saw my endo again today. He thinks I may have Growth Hormone Deficiency. I only have half of my pituitary due to having Cushing's Disease and tumor removal in 2005. I never had the "return to normal" state..... Still overweight (260lbs and I'm 5'10), fatigue, hair loss, etc.

Melly, can you tell me about the diagnosis process and treatment?

Thanks

Laura

Central Valley of California