PTSD and Cushings

Guest Amelie

Question

Guest Amelie

I’m wondering if anyone post surgery is dealing with PTSD, specifically feeling like you are re-experiencing Cushings when you are having anxiety. I’m almost 3 years post surgery and have regular panic attacks where I feel like I am re-living having the disease

2 answers to this question

Oh boy me too. I was paranoid for the first few years and anxious because I always thought Cushing's was coming back. Luckily I had family and a doctor who understood where I was coming from so I could test anytime I wanted to.  It took a long time for me to remember things like women have PMS at times and that has nothing to do with Cushing's. I will say I only worried when I wasn't feeling great, when I feel good it never crosses my mind and these days I'm much better at not worrying or feeling anxiety about it.

• Like 1

• Chief Cushie

Since you asked this as a guest question, I posted it on one of the Cushing's blogs, too.

Someone answered:

Every ache or pain or out of the ordinary experience triggers anxiety. I am 7 years post op. I don’t have panic attacks per se, but I do get upset and frightened. These feelings also occur when the doctor sends me for routine testing just to make sure there is no relapse. It is also sometimes triggered when I hear others discussing their trials and tribulations with Cushing’s. I want to help and offer comfort and advice but many times I can’t because I get too wound up.

In the comments area of https://cushieblogger.com/2018/05/11/guest-question-ptsd-and-cushings/

• Like 1