Desmopressin test

Guest Gsmwilder

Question

Guest Gsmwilder

Hi, I had the desmopressin (DDAVP) stimulation test done last week, and my ACTH levels were all double the top of range, but the cortisols were normal. Outside of all the Cushing’s symptoms, my only other abnormal tests were a urine and 2 midnight salivas each a little over range, and high DHEA. (have had lots of “normal” tests)

Why would ACTH be so high? 

I would love to be approved so I can search and learn from these forums. 

3 answers to this question

• Chief Cushie

I'm not sure what you mean by "I would love to be approved so I can search and learn from these forums. "  You can join buy filling this out the info at the "SignUp link at the top right of any page on these boards.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 4:28 PM, Guest Gsmwilder said:

Why would ACTH be so high? 

It's because desmopressin stimulates ACTH release in corticotrophs (normal cells) and in corticotrophinomas, i.e., tumor cells in the case of Cushing's disease. This effect has been shown to be higher in CD than in non-CD patients. However, I think the ability of the DDAVP test to discriminate between CD and non-CD is questionable, although I'm not too familiar with that area of the literature.

What does your MRI say?

• Like 1