Adult child with Cushing's?

Guest Mom

Question

Hi, It's important to respect mother/adult child boundaries, and I am careful about how I interact with my beautiful daughter so that she does not think I am criticizing her, but I'm very worried.   She is presenting what is listed as classic Cushing's symptoms. We have a family history of pituitary problems.  Do you have suggestions about how I can encourage her to see a doctor specifically about this?  Thank you for letting me post this question.  It feels very lonely to watch her health deteriorate.

3 answers to this question

• Chief Cushie

Wow, that's tough but thank you for being a concerned mom. 

Does she know your family history?  Maybe talking about that would be a way in to discus symptoms and so on.

Is she aware/concerned about any of the symptoms she's dealing with?

If she doesn't live at home, perhaps she's already seeking medical attention but hasn't shared that with you to keep you from worrying.

Please keep us posted on how this goes.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Guest Bizzyusual

I can empathize. My step daughter is really dragging on getting timely care for what appears to be Cushing Syndrome. The symptoms have been going on for years. She has an adrenal tumor that needs to be moved and an abdominal hernia that needs repair. My husband and I are very worried and frustrated about the deteriorating effects on her health. She is extremely reluctance to listen to our concerns or our advice. I wish too that we could get some advice about how to help her.

• Chief Cushie

I really don't understand why they aren't removing the adrenal gland, then - is she doing testing with an endocrinologist, Bizzyusual?  

She would need to be diagnosed with Cushing's before they do anything with the adrenal tumor and that means testing, sometimes lots of it.

I hope she sees that and gets started with endo appointments.

Thanks for being good parents-in-law!

• Like 1