• Over 2000 Posts

The new 2002 rankings is out!

"America's Best Hospitals 2002

If you're looking for the best in medical care,

check out the 13th annual edition of "America's Best Hospitals."

We rank 205 top medical centers in 17 specialties."

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/home.htm

baaa.gif

Yes, I noticed that.  I also noticed some on the list that I'd never heard of - referred - for Cushing's patients.  There are a lot of them....  # 1  or # 41 or #28 - just nice to know there are so many.  Speaking of numbers, I just checked the numbers at random I chose. These are not necessarily in the order for doctors with the most knowledge of our disease as #41 is in Albuquerque and I believe Annette was the first Cushings patient operated on there.  She didn't want to travel all the way to Santa Fe, remember?  She supplied her endo with information on Cushings and her lab work was all sent out of state.  On the other hand, #28 is Oregon Health and Science and we know lots of people who have been there with wonderful results from the doctors who know our disease extensively.  After Hormonal Disorders it lists diabetes and thyroid conditions as calling for expert endocrinologist.  Excuse me, but we need expert endocrinologist, too.  I don't think these are necessarily the order we'd put them in....but it's nice to know that the ones most of us go to for surgery are listed with the 'best'.

Sue

ps...am I rambling???

If NIH is not listed, I guess it's because it's a research center and not a hospital per say??? Or did I miss the listing?

That's right, Marie-Claude.  It's never included in lists of "hospitals" except here on the boards, because it's not a hospital where one can choose to go, but a research facility to which one has to apply to get into a study.

It would be nice if all Cushies could go there, though!

• 1 year later...
Guest Rose Marie

The new list is out!

Here are the top hospitals in hormonal disorders:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews....ndo.htm

Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.

Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston

Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

University of California, San Francisco Medical Center

University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville

Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis

Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston

UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston

New York-Presbyterian Hospital

University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle

Cleveland Clinic

University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor

Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago

University of Chicago Hospitals

Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.

Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas

Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville

Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit

Oregon Health & Science University Hospital, Portland

Wonder what the list would be like if diabetes was taken out of the mix?

Guest falnanglnc

i noticed on that list that both duke and university of north carolina were listed in the top for hormonal disorders. they have always been my 2 favorite places for any treatment for the 19 years i lived in north carolina. and duke was 6th overall. im already homesick for north carolina. seeing this list makes me want to go back even more especially after the last two weeks here where they found blood in my urine but since its not an infection, so they say, im not an emergency. and have to wait 2 weeks to see the doctor. duke and carolina doctors always got me in quick no matter how small the issue. guess im just convinced there is no good medical care in austin. houston is the closest which is fine for a day but very expensive and hard to travel 3+ hours on a long term basis. i went to the rival college ncstate so im the anti duke and carolina fan but ill give credit to duke for being a fine hospital they deserve it. someday hopefully ill live nearby...

xoxo

lil deb

Guest falnanglnc

not yet havent heard back. sent my stuff a few weeks ago but so far no reply and ive honestly been feeling too sick too follow up which is no excuse.

xoxo

lil deb