Anxious

Guest Ellie

Question

Guest Ellie

I've been searching every possible alternative explanation. I really hoped I just had a Lipoma but GP was pretty confident no. I've gained about 40lbs in the past year, I bruise easily and I have a Buffalo Hump. Cycle is regular, my mood is good, well ya know pandemic, home schooling, owning a business ... Lol I don't think I'm suffering any unusual stress or anxiety though. I am anxious over the time it's taking to get any info. I had blood drawn and an upcoming sono, date TBD, but don't see my GP for 5 wks! Can I get blood results over ph and skip right to Endocrinologist if Cortisol is high? Any input of speeding this along? Anyone else with only a few symptoms? Thanks!

7 answers to this question

• Chief Cushie

Welcome, Ellie.  I can't image how hard it would be to get a diagnosis (or not!) during these COVID times. 

Unfortunately, results from blood tests aren't going to be the answer - just a part of an answer.

You need to get UFCs (urine free cortisol)

Do you need to get a referral to an endo?  They are the best to diagnose Cushing's - if you get one who is familar with testing.  That's the important part.  Not all endos "believe in Cushing's" which is incredible to me.

Unfortunately, there's no real way of speeding a Cushing's diagnosis along.  And, I don't think you'd want to (although I did when I was in the diagnosis phase!)  You want to be absolutely sure that this is what you have AND the source - pituitary, adrenal, ectopic, steroid-induced...

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Ellie

Thank you! I did get my test. I didn't have a urine test. Just blood test at about 4:30pm with 13.8 ug/dL results. Depending where I read that is normal or high. Very confused.

I've managed to move up some appointments. As stated my Serum Cortisol test about 4:30pm didn't show anything abnormal. My ultrasound confirmed its not a Lipoma but didn't confirm it was anything at all to my knowledge. What test should I request at my 8am appointment this Fri? PM Saliva, 24 Urine, dexamethasone? I guess I'm already expecting this PA to be skeptical based on others experiences.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Guest Jenny L

Tests to ask for ? Several 2-5 x repeat 24 hour UFC's. Don't despair if you never catch a high as cushings is not so much about the cortisol levels being high; it is the loss of the diurnal rythem. The time of day you produce the cortisol is what matters.

I am a huge believer in midnight blood draws. There are many problems with this test and likely impossible during covid to set up. Ask for at least 3 salivary cortisol levels you collect at home at midnight in send them in. If you have really any cortisol floating around at midnight on a regular basis, you will eventually develop cushings. It will get worse it's treated. But don't let the PA get away without ordering at least 3 salivary midnight testing kits. You cannot rule in or out cushings with a single UFC, dex suppression test or random cortisol draw. That is unless you get a really nice high result.