Is April 8th Formally Cushing's Awareness Day?

Guest CherriS

Guest CherriS

I am going to contact my local paper about doing a story about Cushing's Disease for Cushing's Awareness Day. In order to get the info to them in time I need to find out ASAP if April 8th has been formally designated as "Cushing's Awareness Day" ...

Thanks Gang!

Cherri in AL

Guest LynneMC

Although we don't have an "official" Cushing's Awareness Day yet, the date is indeed April 8th, in memory of Harvey Cushings' birthday. Good luck with the press, Cherri!

Cherri,

A group of cushies had a discussion on this board and picked the Birthdate of Dr. Harvey Cushing as the day wanted for Cushing's Awareness Day. CUSH organization adopted this day to celebrate awareness as well. Some of the other groups afilliated with Cushing's in anyway also agreed to publish this date also for their readers and members as {Good information sources for Cushing’s awareness:http://www.Cushings-help.com; http://www.CUSH.org; www.pituitary.org; www.Cushings-Help.net; www.pituitarydisorder.net} I as of this date have not sent them the necessary info, yet.

I have written to the President of the United States, George W. Bush, to make a Presidential Proclamation to establish a "National Cushing's Awareness Day" for April 8. I will find out by phone and mail and let everyone know if it is done.

To answer your question CUSH Organization has established April 8 as Cushing's Awareness Day.

Aside from that-- I contacted my paper to do a story and they don't do Awareness days for any groups, just S.O.P.

Jayne :rolleyes:

Guest CherriS

Jayne,

What I figured I would do is talk to them about doing an article about Cushing's. THey have done some fabulous in-depth articles about ALS, Alzheimers, MS, heart-disease, cancer, etc and I figured they might just do one about Cushing's. I figured I would tell them, as an aside, that April 8th is Cushing's Awareness Day.

Thanks for the info!

Cherri

Cherri,

Hopefully you will be able to tell them that it is a "NATIONAL Cushing's Awareness Day" Be sure to post the article if they do one!

Thanks for spreading the word!

Jayne

Cherri,

If you click on "Track this topic" at the top of the thread, you will get an email when anyone posts here. I will post here when I hear from the White House, too.

Jayne :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Mary!

Today is CUSHING'S AWARENESS DAY for all of us and I'm tickled you've honored this day with Dr. Cushing's picture.

Last night while talking with Jayne she asked what I was doing to celebrate today. I am wearing a lot of pins today... my way of acknowledging today.

I am still hopeful that we can have a proclamation for this day... It didn't happen for us this year... but I'm not giving up the quest...

Today is a new day on our journey for awareness.

Sue