Respiratory muscle function in endocrine diseases

I found this citation while doing some research.

Siafakas, NM "Respiratory muscle function in endocrine diseases" Monaldi Archives for Chest Disease.

1999 Apr; Vol. 54 (2), pp. 154-9; PMID: 10394831

Siafakas NM, Alexopoulou C, Bouros D.

Dept of Thoracic Medicine, Medical School, University of Crete, Greece.

This review reports evidence showing that the function of the respiratory muscles (RMs) is affected in endocrinopathies and emphasizes that clinicians should look for RM weakness in hormone inbalances. Although there is a potential pathophysiological mechanism for affecting RM in diabetes insipidus, hypoparathyroidism, Cushing's disease, pheochromocytoma, adrenalin deficiency or androgen disorder, no study was found in the available literature. Therefore, investigations are urgently needed in these diseases. Controversial results have been reported in acromegaly, hypopituitarism, diabetes mellitus and steroid-induced (iatrogenic) RM myopathy. Obviously, these are areas for further research. Respiratory muscle dysfunction has been well documented in thyroid disease and there is general agreement that both hypo- and hyperthyroidism are associated with reversible respiratory muscle weakness.

I've been through PubMed and Medline, and done some general web searches too, but I can't find a free full-text. Can anyone help?

Interesting article. I have this condition due to Cushings. My pulmonary function studies show up as having neuromuscular disease such as Lou Gerhigs Disease. We then did the testing to rule out neuromuscular disease. Thus the diagnosis of steroid myopathy due to the long-term, untreated Cushings.

What I have discovered that all pulmonologists do not recognize this situation. One read my recent PFSs as 'normal' with the problems associated with obestity. Thank my lucky stars that I do now have a pulmonologist who understands how to read the studies properly and get me to a neurologist for diagnosis. Thanks for providing this abstract.

• Over 2000 Posts

Sorry cant get that one, I've done a lot of reading around it, as it's a big problem here, & although muscle effect/ function is touched on, most go into the acid based respiratory & endocrine cause stuff. if you search acid based respiratory disorders, & cushings , you have to go quite severe to get at some of the published stuff , theres a lot under respiratory failure & cushings. Real sorry, it can be quite scary to read & experience !! . There is some specific cushings stuff, but sadly a lot of it is grouped generally under obesity & hypoventilation syndrome. Which from our experience is only a little of the equation.

Sally, you have fluid holding probs too, dont you ? try looking for more info under disorders of sodium & fluid balance & respiratory compromise/ failure.

I tried to get it for you, but they started digitizing their articles in 2000. So, you'll have to request it through a medical library, probably. I'm sorry!

It never fails: every time I'm looking for an article it's always the last year that things weren't digitized! Thanks for looking!

Interesting article. I have this condition due to Cushings. My pulmonary function studies show up as having neuromuscular disease such as Lou Gerhigs Disease. We then did the testing to rule out neuromuscular disease. Thus the diagnosis of steroid myopathy due to the long-term, untreated Cushings.

What I have discovered that all pulmonologists do not recognize this situation. One read my recent PFSs as 'normal' with the problems associated with obestity. Thank my lucky stars that I do now have a pulmonologist who understands how to read the studies properly and get me to a neurologist for diagnosis. Thanks for providing this abstract.

I was thinking more of the asthma symptoms that I have. I got an asthma diagnosis in 2000, but I've never had an asthma attack. I take Singulair and have an albuterol inhaler, but I never use the inhaler (it makes me jittery). I wonder if my "asthma" is really due to an endocrine cause?

Sorry cant get that one, I've done a lot of reading around it, as it's a big problem here, & although muscle effect/ function is touched on, most go into the acid based respiratory & endocrine cause stuff. if you search acid based respiratory disorders, & cushings , you have to go quite severe to get at some of the published stuff , theres a lot under respiratory failure & cushings. Real sorry, it can be quite scary to read & experience !! . There is some specific cushings stuff, but sadly a lot of it is grouped generally under obesity & hypoventilation syndrome. Which from our experience is only a little of the equation.

Sally, you have fluid holding probs too, dont you ? try looking for more info under disorders of sodium & fluid balance & respiratory compromise/ failure.

Not sure what you mean by "fluid holding probs." I get confused about the salt/water balance thing, at least when it comes to what makes you retain water vs. flush it all out. I go back and forth: sometimes I'm really thirsty, other days I hardly drink anything at all. And output is sometimes counterintuitive: if I drink a lot, sometimes I don't pee much at all, but other times I haven't drank much but spend all day in the bathroom. I think my tachycardia is caused by hypovolemia, because I don't really have high blood pressure.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1170469-overview

I have been tying for hrs is this link any help???

I'm on a mission to find it for you.

Anka

Thanks! I know you found the last one for me. :congrats: That link was actually the article that led me to look for this one. You'd think that a foreign journal wouldn't be so hard to find!

In response to your question of whether cushings can cause asthma, no. HOWEVER, it is well proven that excess cortisol can worsen asthma. Just before pit surgery, my asthma would get quite back to the point that I couldn't speak nor hardly breathe. I saw the pattern after a while....it was always when I was to make a presentation to senior managers, etc. and was a bit nervous.

Now that I ahve had a BLA, the asthma is still there, but needs nothing other than Singular at night. Otherwise, I haven't used an inhaler since BLA surgery.

Archived