Health Brief Your Thyroid can Make You Cold, Fat and Tired...

The thyroid gland in your neck controls your metabolism. And if it's sluggish, you could be one of the millions of Americans with hypothyroidism---and not even know you have it.

About half of all people with this common disease are untreated, risking serious medical consequences. Thanks to updated guidelines, medical science is better able to interpret lab values and identify people with a mild form of this condition. But treatment remains tricky---and controversial. "One sixe does not fit al," says endocrinologist Theodore C. F., co-author of The Everything Health Guide to Thyroid Disease. "You really have to individualize the treatment to the person."

Diagnosis and treatment depend on a mix of symptoms, risk factors and the amount of thyroid hormones in your blood. If you recognize early symptoms (including cold intolerance, constipation, depression, fatigue, brittle fingernails, and weight gain), then ask your doctor to consider doing a blood test that will mearsure your T4 and TSH.

Treat your hypothyroidism and you also might avoid pregnancy complications and high cholesterol.

---Susan T. Lennon

Hi, Shelly!! I talked to him last night and he didn't mention the article at all. I hope he knows he was featured. I found it online:

http://usaweekend.com/07_issues/070311/070...lth_briefs.html

Thank you so much for finding this!! Hope your weekend is going well.

Hugs!

Robin

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

The Everything Health Guide to Thyroid Disease: Professional Advice on Getting the Right Diagnosis, Managing Your Symptoms, And Feeling Great (Everything: Health and Fitness) by Theodore C., M.D., Ph.D. F. and Winnie Yu (Paperback - Dec 2006)

Whoo - hoo! Just found it on Amazon and think I'll order it - will also check and see if I'm in it :) Kelly

Archived