Found this artcile mentions Pateints with Elevated androstenedione

mandy

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

:)Hi Guys,

I found this whilst trying to find confirmation that you can have low DHEAS in cushings and it discusses a patient who has same as me high androstenedione and low normal DHEA. Ive got the endo calling me soon and will be going back to see them at Barts, so Iam feeling stronger again and more confident that it is more than just a thyroid problem (With the help of a special lady on here and a lady on a thyroid forum).

RESULTS Plasma cortisol values of 15 patients with Cushing's disease (range 326?1140 nmol/l, normal range 190?690 nmol/l) were elevated in 9; In contrast, plasma androstenedione (4?1?11?3 nmol/l, normal range, men 2?1?7?7, women 3?3?9?9 nmol/l) was elevated in only two patients, plasma DHEAS (3?3?17?8 μmol/l, normal range, men 4?5?18?4, women 3?5?11?8 μmol/l) was elevated in only 4 patients and plasma DHEA (4?8?45?2 nmol/l, normal range 11?48 nmol/l) was normal or low in all 15 patients. Plasma androstenedione was markedly elevated (74 nmol/l) in one of three patients with ectopic ACTH syndrome, moderately elevated in another, and normal in the third patient. In contrast, plasma DHEA and DHEAS levels were suppressed in the patient with the highest androstenedione level and low or normal in the other two patients.

CONCLUSIONS These data suggest that ACTH alone does not control adrenal androgen Secretion. The data also suggest that variability in the processing of proopiomelanocortin (the precursor of ACTH and related peptides) occurring in Cushing's disease and ectopic ACTH syndrome may account for differences in the relation of cortisol to androgens observed between the disorders and when compared to that in normal subjects.

Archived