Doctors Tell Ya to Just Lose Weight?

Hey all! I am writing a paper for grad school on an artwork of overweight women, and I was doing some research and found these statistics:

Weight Prejudice and Medical Practice

Many heavy patients report distressing experiences with health care providers. (http://www.fwhc.org/health/fatfem.htm) Physicians and health care providers frequently focus solely on an individual?s body size rather than their actual health problem.

Heavy patients are commonly advised to lose weight regardless of their state of health. And while a thin person is given medication or other appropriate treatments, a heavy person with the same symptoms may simply be told to lose weight.

Even though the U.S. Department of Health and the World Health Organization agree that dieting and weight lose surgery can be dangerous to human health, patients healthfulness continues to be determined by their body mass index regardless of the lack of scientific evidence supporting its use.

Current medical technology has only a 10% success rate in treating obesity.

Sounds familiar! Thought I'd share!

The research is by Bradley University and it's called The Body Project

• Member of the 1000 Post Club

It does sound familiar. Sometimes I feel like it is hard for people, medical professionals to see past the weight and I think it can cloud their judgement sometimes. Thanks for sharing & good luck on your paper! ;)

I can understand to a certain extent that the doctors focus on weight and excersise to have a person be the healtiest they can be. However when I gained 20 lbs. in a month that to me that was a red flag to say...hmm I think something is wrong or off balance. But as I went to doctors they still told me to go on weight watchers and excersise harder. When if they listened to me I told them i could barely go up and down the stairs due to muscle weakness and fatigue. Not sure why the doctors have such a clouded outlook?

Good luck on your paper! Hope you get lots of good information.

Someone on here posted this fact- If we were to lose 20lbs in a month, the Dr.'s would be falling all over themselves trying to figure out why. They would never consider that weight loss to that degree was just some lifestyle failure or character issue. Don't they realize how much a person would have to eat in order to put on that amount of weight in that short of time? I'm not sure it's possible. The volume of food would make a person literally---sick!!! Just my therory, but really, if a Dr. took it to it's logical conclusion, I doubt he or she could do that, even with effort. Cheri/cab

Guest EFM1062

Hi Cheri,

I said that to a doc once & then told him that if I eat anything over 850kc I gain weight. His response was that that is the amount I'd need to eat because my metabolism is bad & I'd need to start an exercise program too.

WHAT?!

• Over 2000 Posts

...why, I'm just ASTONISHED that any doctor would be so uncaring as to tell a patient to eat less and excercise more just because they're obese.

I've NEVER had a McDonald's in my whole life and I don't drink alcohol but recently after starting GH replacement I suddenly lost 12 pounds weight and my doc was panicking. Since then, I haven't dropped a pound and he doesn't need to see me 'cos I'm OK now.

Unbelievabubble.

Dave

I had at least 4 or 5 doctors tell me that if I lost weight all my symptoms would just go away. Like someone said above, weight gain IS a symptom!

Now that I've lost half of the 100 pounds I gained with cushings, I am being treated very differently by some people. There is a weight bias in this country.

Best of luck with your paper! I'm jealous you are in grad school...someday I'll get there! :>)

love,

melly in nv

It is so TRUE! I knew my previous physician for almost 18 years give or take he was also my husbands physician... He knew how I always was looking out for my weight. I went to him stating I was gaining weight and was fatiqued having other issues and ...nothing -no curiosity - no thoughts

on the other hand my husband who has weighed the same for upteen years give or take 3 pounds lost 6 pounds and he got all concerned with it like what is that ???? I wish you all the best in your paper! Keep us posted if you find other interesting facts and figures.

Lisa :)

I had at least 4 or 5 doctors tell me that if I lost weight all my symptoms would just go away. Like someone said above, weight gain IS a symptom!

Now that I've lost half of the 100 pounds I gained with cushings, I am being treated very differently by some people. There is a weight bias in this country.

Best of luck with your paper! I'm jealous you are in grad school...someday I'll get there! :>)

love,

melly in nv

There IS a weight bias, and its DISGUSTING..... i have never been 'skinny', but, i have been over 400lbs, and i have been UNDER 200lbs - all within the last 6 years..... and now that i am creeping BACK up to 300lbs, i see the difference in people and how they look at me, and how the speak to me.... its VERY discouraging....

did ya' ever see an obese doctor????

Skinny lil' people.

Dave

I have actually seen an obese doctor, my endo from last summer that I ditched. He tried to tell me that diet and exercise are hard, and they don't even work because HE ran 2 miles a day and he still was fat. I almost wanted to ask him if he thought maybe HE has Cushing's. I don't like doctors....

VIcki

love,

melly in nv

My doctor just told me that! That none of symptoms would go away until I lost weight. Another told me if I would just follow the Atkins diet I would be ok. All my symptoms would go away... Funny I tried that for almost four months last year and I actually gained weight while my husband lost 15. I had been on Atkins four years ago and lost weight easily. DOCTORS!

Congrats on losing half your weight, I assume you're feeling better...that's wonderful! I am just beginning my journey trying to get a diagnosis. I am back to my doctor (who told me to lose weight) Thursday, to show her pics and a list of symptoms. She already referred me to an endo, but they can't get me in until September...so I'm going to ask her to try and help me get in earlier.

Grad school's been SUPER hard with whatever I have. I can't concentrate and it's hard with the headaches. Oh well I guess it'll get easier someday! Thanks for your input, and good luck with getting better!!! :-D

My mom has been struggling with her weight for years. She has been seeing this heart doctor that is one of the best in our state for over a decade. She just had two heart stints put in last week for a 80% blocked main artery and a 70% blocked secondary. She sees this doctor at least once a year. The first time I met him almost 8 or 9 years ago I told her to find a new doctor he was only focused on her weight being her only problem. If she had had heart problems during a colonoscopy and lucked out by her doctor being out of town who knows when the blockage would have been found. My guess would be have been on autopsy.

I totally agree weight is a symptom.

It takes 3,500 calories to make on pound of fat.

3,500 calories x 30 days=105,000 calories divided by 20lbs =5,250 calories a day. If I did the math right. I am not mathematician.

That is how many calories you would need to consume (on top of any other calories need to just maintain your everyday physcial needs) to gain 20 lbs in one month.

That means for the average woman who needs 1,500 calories a day for normal every day existience would have to be eating 6,750 calories a day to gain that much weight.

How many of us have gained that kind of weight in a month and how many of us have eaten that many calories every day. There were many weeks that I wouldn't consume 5,250 calories all week while going to the gym working out hard. I didn't loose I gained. The math just doesn't add up does it.

To consume 6,750 calories a day you would need to eat:

16 c (gal) 2%milk @120 calories/c=1,920

12 large eggs x 78 calories/egg=936

16 oz bacon (1 lb) x 145 calories/oz=2,320

16 oz bread(loaf)x74 calories/oz=1,184

3.5 choco. chip cookies 128/ea =320

35 cups of coffee x 2 calories/c=70

total 6,750

Please feel free to check my math I won't be offended.LOL. As long as you get the point. We should all make a chart like that to keep handy and give it to every doctor that tells us the standard crapola of eat less and exercise more.

It breakfast time my fat butt better get cookin.

Oh dear God, 35 cups of coffee? It wouldn't matter how much weight you gained, your heart would stop first!

But I agree. I figured out at one point that to gain weight as quickly as I did in the beginning, I would have had to be eating about 8000 calories a day. I had been keeping track to make sure I wasn't eating too much, and maybe I missed a bit, but 8000? I couldn't possibly be missing that much! And still, the doctor just told me I was either lying or nuts. Ok, I may be nuts, but I'm not that crazy!

~LauraP

• Over 2000 Posts

I was the only male in a weight watchers class of 38 girls....and big girls at that. I was out running every morning for an hour and cycling at weekends. The diet involved me eating and drinking their value for 22 points a day.

I COULD NOT eat enough to get past 14 points a day and in 14 months I lost 6 lbs.

I reported to my doc and he said "that's good....you could've put on 6 lbs if ou hadn't been going"

I asked his advice about losing more weight and he said " don't forget muscle weighs more than fat and the more you excercise , the more muscle you produce and therfore the more your weight will increase"

I was speechless and as i was leaving his consulting room, he said " haven't yo got anything else to say?"

I said " yeah....go f**k yerself you stooopid ba***rd!!!!!!!"

Really...what are these loonies all about.?

Dave

• Over 2000 Posts
I was the only male in a weight watchers class of 38 girls....and big girls at that. I was out running every morning for an hour and cycling at weekends. The diet involved me eating and drinking their value for 22 points a day.

I COULD NOT eat enough to get past 14 points a day and in 14 months I lost 6 lbs.

I reported to my doc and he said "that's good....you could've put on 6 lbs if ou hadn't been going"

I asked his advice about losing more weight and he said " don't forget muscle weighs more than fat and the more you excercise , the more muscle you produce and therfore the more your weight will increase"

I was speechless and as i was leaving his consulting room, he said " haven't yo got anything else to say?"

Dave

ROFL

hee Dave, does this guy get payed for telling this?

I did see all the athletes being verry big from training, the jockeys are the worst, little fat bastards.

I once saw a cardiologist meeting in the carrabean, they were all drinking whiskey and cognac and smoked and ate piles of food. Then they go back to the office and piss us off.

Dave

Maybe we are all just body builders in disquise. We should start a contest to see who is strongest with all of our "big muscles" showing off.

I agree with the moron assessment you should've ask him which ways more a pound of feathers or a pound of lead. I betcha he would say the lead. A pound is a pound. I really doubt that medical school is as hard as they say.

Archived